Solving Improper Integrals: 1/sqrt(9-x^2) 0 to 3

• Thread starter Chas3down
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, what did you get when you integrated from 0 to 3? and why does it go from negative to positive?
Chas3down

Homework Statement

integral of 1/sqrt(9-x^2)
from 0 to 3

Homework Equations

///

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrate it correct to arcsin(x/3) from 0 to 3
Get the correct anwser of pi/2.

But there is another question, At which value of x in the integration region [0,3] does special care need to be taken with the integration? I understand at some point it goes from negatie to positive, but i tried 0,3,pi/2,pi.. none worked.. anyhelp?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chas3down said:

Homework Statement

from 0 to 3

Homework Equations

///

But there is another question, At which value of x in the integration region [0,3] does special care need to be taken with the integration? I understand at some point it goes from negatie to positive, but i tried 0,3,pi/2,pi.. none worked.. anyhelp?

What did you get when you put ##x=3## into the integrand?

And why do you say it goes from negative to positive?

Chas3down said:

Homework Statement

from 0 to 3

Homework Equations

///

Check the domain of the original function to be integrated.

I never had to do anything with the domain, it just worked.. But i guessed 0, pi/2 and 3. I thought it was be pi/2 because that's where it goes from neg to pos.

Chas3down said:
I never had to do anything with the domain, it just worked.. But i guessed 0, pi/2 and 3. I thought it was be pi/2 because that's where it goes from neg to pos.

That's because you have been doing "proper" integrals up to this point. Improper integrals involve integrating across a point where the function is not defined. In this case the the function is not defined at x = __. The normal procedure is to introduce a variable for that number and take the limit as a approaches that number.

In this case, arcsin is defined on [0,1]. But the original function is not defined on [0,3].

LCKurtz said:
What did you get when you put ##x=3## into the integrand?

And why do you say it goes from negative to positive?

Chas3down said:

Try answering my two questions.

Related to Solving Improper Integrals: 1/sqrt(9-x^2) 0 to 3

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite or the integrand has a singularity within the interval of integration. In these cases, the integral cannot be evaluated using the standard methods of integration and requires special techniques to solve.

Why is the integral 1/sqrt(9-x^2) 0 to 3 considered improper?

The integral 1/sqrt(9-x^2) 0 to 3 is considered improper because the integrand has a singularity at x=3, making it impossible to evaluate the integral using the standard methods of integration.

What is the process for solving an improper integral?

The process for solving an improper integral involves splitting the integral into two parts, one from the lower limit to the point of singularity and the other from the point of singularity to the upper limit. Then, each part is evaluated separately using special techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. Finally, the two solutions are added together to get the final answer.

How can I determine if an integral is improper?

An integral can be determined to be improper if it meets one of the following criteria: the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, the integrand has a singularity within the interval of integration, or the integrand is undefined at one or more points within the interval of integration.

What are some common techniques for solving improper integrals?

Some common techniques for solving improper integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and using trigonometric identities. These techniques are used to manipulate the integrand into a form that can be integrated using the standard rules of integration.