Solving Irrational Equations: How to Discard Solutions

• Thread starter Alex126
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving an irrational equation by finding the domain, manipulating the equation, and verifying solutions. The question arises about a different method involving imposing a condition and verifying solutions. Both methods are valid, but the second method has a calculation error.
Alex126
I figured it out >_>

I got a problem with discarding the second solution of this irrational equation:
##-\sqrt {x^2 - 1} + \sqrt {x^2 +3x} = 2##

First I find the domain, which will end up being ##x\leq-3## v ##x\geq+1## since that's the common union of the domains of each square root.

Then I move the first term to the right:
##\sqrt {x^2 +3x} = 2 + \sqrt {x^2 - 1}##

Now I know left and right are positive, so I can elevate both terms to the power of 2. I then get:

##x^2 +3x = 4 + x^2 - 1 +4\sqrt {x^2 - 1}##

Do some sums:
##3x - 3 = 4\sqrt {x^2 - 1}##

Now, here's the part I'm unsure about. How do I proceed now? The method I knew was that I can elevate both terms to the power of 2 again, but since I don't know the sign of what's on the left then I'll have to verify the solutions (by substituting them in the equation before elevating to 2) and see if the result is right or not.

However, I read that you could do something else too, and that seemed to make sense. In particular, they said that if you know the sign of either one, then you can "impose" a new condition on the other term of the equation and then verify the result from there. In this case, we know that the term on the right must be positive (or null), so the condition would require me to impose that what's on the left must be positive (or null) too. Therefore:

##3x - 3 \geq 0 => x \geq 1##

Then I can elevate both terms to the power of 2, and solve the equation ##9x^2+9-18x=4x^2-4##
From there I get two results:
x = 1
x = 13/5 (= 2.6)

Both of these look acceptable results, since they are both contained in the domain AND in the condition ##x \geq 1##. However, if I substitute the second result (13/5) in the equation ##3x - 3 = 4\sqrt {x^2 - 1}## I don't get an identity, so this second result must not be acceptable.

I don't understand where is the mistake.

Edit: I had forgotten 42...

If someone still read it, can I get a confirmation that both methods (substituting the results to verify the identity, and imposing a second condition) are always valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex126 said:
I figured it out >_>

I got a problem with discarding the second solution of this irrational equation:
##-\sqrt {x^2 - 1} + \sqrt {x^2 +3x} = 2##

First I find the domain, which will end up being ##x\leq-3## v ##x\geq+1## since that's the common union of the domains of each square root.

Then I move the first term to the right:
##\sqrt {x^2 +3x} = 2 + \sqrt {x^2 - 1}##

Now I know left and right are positive, so I can elevate both terms to the power of 2. I then get:

##x^2 +3x = 4 + x^2 - 1 +4\sqrt {x^2 - 1}##

Do some sums:
##3x - 3 = 4\sqrt {x^2 - 1}##

Now, here's the part I'm unsure about. How do I proceed now? The method I knew was that I can elevate both terms to the power of 2 again, but since I don't know the sign of what's on the left then I'll have to verify the solutions (by substituting them in the equation before elevating to 2) and see if the result is right or not.
Yes, this is the right approach -- square both sides.
Alex126 said:
However, I read that you could do something else too, and that seemed to make sense. In particular, they said that if you know the sign of either one, then you can "impose" a new condition on the other term of the equation and then verify the result from there. In this case, we know that the term on the right must be positive (or null)
Or zero, not null..
Alex126 said:
, so the condition would require me to impose that what's on the left must be positive (or null) too. Therefore:

##3x - 3 \geq 0 => x \geq 1##

Then I can elevate both terms to the power of 2, and solve the equation ##9x^2+9-18x=4x^2-4##
From there I get two results:
x = 1
x = 13/5 (= 2.6)
You have an error in the second value. I get x = -25/7.
Alex126 said:
Both of these look acceptable results, since they are both contained in the domain AND in the condition ##x \geq 1##. However, if I substitute the second result (13/5) in the equation ##3x - 3 = 4\sqrt {x^2 - 1}## I don't get an identity, so this second result must not be acceptable.

I don't understand where is the mistake.

Edit: I had forgotten 42...

If someone still read it, can I get a confirmation that both methods (substituting the results to verify the identity, and imposing a second condition) are always valid?
Other than your calculation error, I don't see any problems with your second method. I always use the first method you showed, and then verify that the solutions I get satisfy the original equation.

Likes Alex126
Yea, -25/7. Damn it lol

Thanks.

What is an irrational equation?

An irrational equation is an equation that contains irrational numbers, which are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Examples of irrational numbers include pi and the square root of 2.

Why is it important to discard solutions when solving irrational equations?

Discarding solutions is important because irrational equations can sometimes have extraneous solutions, meaning solutions that do not actually satisfy the original equation. By discarding these solutions, we ensure that we are only considering valid solutions.

How do you discard solutions when solving an irrational equation?

To discard solutions, we must carefully analyze the steps we take while solving the equation. This includes identifying any extraneous solutions that may have been introduced, and then eliminating them through mathematical manipulation or by checking for validity in the original equation.

What are some common mistakes people make when solving irrational equations?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, making algebraic errors, and misunderstanding the properties of irrational numbers. It is important to double check each step and be familiar with the properties of irrational numbers in order to avoid these mistakes.

Are there any tips for effectively solving irrational equations?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help with solving irrational equations. These include carefully checking each step for any errors, being familiar with the properties of irrational numbers, and practicing with a variety of equations to improve your skills. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to discuss different approaches and solutions.