Solving Kinetic Energy Lab in Online Physics Class

In summary, McSara is having difficulty with two homework assignments, one involving kinematic velocity and the other involving kinetic energy. She is confused by the instructions in her textbook.
McSara
I'm having some difficulty in an online class.
Here is a screen shot for reference:
Picture1-12.png

Homework Statement

:
I'm doing a physics lab (screen shot is available above). The procedure says:
Choose a set height (2 feet, 3 feet) and when the object is dropped from this height, start the time. Stop the time, when the object hits the ground. Calculate the velocity of the object. Calculate the average velocity for each equation at the end of your experiments.
The small object I'm using is a small pecan in it's shell.
As you can see from the screen shot I have already recorded the time column from the experiment.
I'm having a difficult time with kinematic velocity (because I don't understand the equation) and the kinetic energy (because the KE formula asks for mass and I do not know the mass of the almond. This lab was not specific to mass, only specific of using a small object. More specifically it says: to use a "small object (thread spool, small ball)")

Homework Equations

:
Kinematic velocity = v0 + acceleration*time
Kinetic Energy = ½mv^2 = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

:
I don't know how to go about either one of these. I'm sorry. The book is confusing me, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

One thing should make it easier for you.

The kinetic energy V doesn't depend on mass. If you will note it cancels out of both sides of the equation.

Hence your kinetic V is (2*g*h)1/2
Your kinematic V is simpler and is just g*t

Be careful of your units. 1 column is m/s. The other is ft/s.

Welcome to PF!

McSara said:
I'm having a difficult time with kinematic velocity (because I don't understand the equation) and the kinetic energy (because the KE formula asks for mass and I do not know the mass of the almond. This lab was not specific to mass, only specific of using a small object. More specifically it says: to use a "small object (thread spool, small ball)")

Kinematic velocity = v0 + acceleration*time
Kinetic Energy = ½mv^2 = mgh

Hi McSara! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It isn't kinematic velocity, it's a kinematic equation.

v is just ordinary velocity. :wink:

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it measured?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is measured in joules (J) and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity squared.

2. How do I conduct a kinetic energy experiment in an online physics class?

There are a few different ways to conduct a kinetic energy experiment in an online physics class. One option is to use virtual simulations or animations to demonstrate the concept. Another option is to have students design and conduct their own experiments at home using everyday objects and measuring tools.

3. What factors affect an object's kinetic energy?

The main factors that affect an object's kinetic energy are its mass and velocity. The greater an object's mass and the faster it is moving, the more kinetic energy it has.

4. How can I analyze and interpret data from a kinetic energy experiment?

To analyze and interpret data from a kinetic energy experiment, you can create graphs to compare the kinetic energy of different objects or to show the relationship between mass and velocity. You can also calculate the percent error to determine the accuracy of the results.

5. How is kinetic energy related to other forms of energy?

Kinetic energy is related to other forms of energy through the principle of conservation of energy. This principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed. So, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy.