Solving Kinetic Theory Homework: Work Done By External Agent

In summary, the pressure in the left side of the cylinder rises as the external agent shifts the piston to the right. The work done by the external agent is equal to the pressure increase.
zorro

Homework Statement

The figure shows the initial state of the gas in an insulated cylinder. The gas is ideal and it is given that, Cp/Cv = 1.5. The insulated piston by the help of an external agent is slowly shifted to the right such that the piston divides the cylinder in the ratio 1 : 3. Calculate the work done by the external agent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the final temperatures
T1 = √2/√3 T and T2 = √2T

Increase in internal energy of the entire system of gas ,
U = (n1+n2)Cv(T1 + T2 -2T)
Cv = 2R
U = 2RT(n1 + n2)(√2/√3 + √2 - 2)

(n1 + n2)RT=2PV
therefore U=4PV(√2/√3 + √2 - 2)
The answer is U=2.5PV(√2/√3 + √2 - 2)

Please help

Attachments

• 0higu5bh.jpg
    0higu5bh.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to explain how you are getting the temperatures. Show all your work, including how you get W from [itex]\Delta U[/itex]

AM

Sure. I skipped that to save time.
Let V1 and V2 be the final volumes of the left and right parts resp.
V1=3V2 and V1 + V2 = 2Vo
Hence V1 = 3Vo/2 and V2 = Vo/2

As the process is adiabatic,
For the left part, TV[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1 is constant
Using this equation, T1 = √2/√3 T
Similarly applying the same equation for the right part,
T2 = √2T.

Work will be done by the gas at the expense of its own internal energy ( there is no heat exchange )
W = -[itex]\Delta[/itex]U
But work is done on the system hence it is -W
W = [itex]\Delta[/itex]U

you're right its an adiabatic process so the change in internal energy is equal to the work done. So if you have the change in U of the first chamber, and the change in U of the second chamber, it should be easy for you to find the work done.

If you have all the initial temperatures and all of the final temperatures then you have done 90% of the problem. U(T) = 3/2 * nRT

you're right its an adiabatic process so the change in internal energy is equal to the work done. So if you have the change in U of the first chamber, and the change in U of the second chamber, it should be easy for you to find the work done.

If you have all the initial temperatures and all of the final temperatures then you have done 90% of the problem. U(T) = 3/2 * nRT

I already got the concept behind the question.
My problem is that my answer doesnot match with the given answer.

I calculated n1 + n2 as follows-
the number of moles present in the final condition in both the parts are equal to the no. of moles present in each part initially.
so n1 = n2 = PV/RT
n1 + n2 = 2PV/RT

Substituting this in the equation,
U = 2RT(n1 + n2)(√2/√3 + √2 - 2),
U= 2RT x 2PV/RT (√2/√3 + √2 - 2) = 4PV(√2/√3 + √2 - 2).

Is there any mistake in calculation of number of moles?

Abdul Quadeer said:
Increase in internal energy of the entire system of gas ,
U = (n1+n2)Cv(T1 + T2 -2T)
The above part of your analysis is not correct:

[tex]W = \Delta U = n_1C_v\Delta T_1 + n_2C_v\Delta T_2 = n_1C_v(T_1 -T) + n_2C_v(T_2 - T) \ne (n_1 + n_2)C_v(T_1 + T_2 - 2T)[/tex]

If n1 = n2, you will be out by a factor of 2. Are they equal?

AM

Last edited:
Abdul Quadeer said:
I calculated n1 + n2 as follows-
the number of moles present in the final condition in both the parts are equal to the no. of moles present in each part initially.
so n1 = n2 = PV/RT
n1 + n2 = 2PV/RT

Substituting this in the equation,
U = 2RT(n1 + n2)(√2/√3 + √2 - 2),
U= 2RT x 2PV/RT (√2/√3 + √2 - 2) = 4PV(√2/√3 + √2 - 2).

Is there any mistake in calculation of number of moles?

You should use:

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/tex]

You should get:

[tex]W = \Delta U = nC_v\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}} + \sqrt{2} - 2\right) T[/tex]

where n is the number of moles in one side of the cylinder. Determine what [itex]C_v[/itex] is in terms of R and [itex]\gamma[/itex] and use that value. AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
You should use:

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/tex]

You should get:

[tex]W = \Delta U = nC_v\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}} + \sqrt{2} - 2\right) T[/tex]

where n is the number of moles in one side of the cylinder. Determine what [itex]C_v[/itex] is in terms of R and [itex]\gamma[/itex] and use that value.

AM

I proceed as you told -
n = PV/RT
Cv = R/[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1 = R/1.5-1 = 2R

W = nCv T(√2/√3 + √2 - 2) = PV/RT x 2R x T(√2/√3 + √2 - 2) =2PV (√2/√3 + √2 - 2)

The answer given in my book is W = 2.5PV (√2/√3 + √2 - 2)

Abdul Quadeer said:
I proceed as you told -
n = PV/RT
Cv = R/[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1 = R/1.5-1 = 2R

W = nCv T(√2/√3 + √2 - 2) = PV/RT x 2R x T(√2/√3 + √2 - 2) =2PV (√2/√3 + √2 - 2)

The answer given in my book is W = 2.5PV (√2/√3 + √2 - 2)
I get the same as you. So I would say that the book answer is wrong.

The answer in terms of gamma is:

[tex]W = nC_v(\Delta T_1 + \Delta T_2) = n(\frac{R}{\gamma-1})T(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}} + \sqrt{2} -2) = \frac{nR}{\gamma-1}(\frac{PV}{nR})\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}} + \sqrt{2} -2\right)= \frac{PV}{\gamma-1}\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}} + \sqrt{2} -2\right)[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
Alright.
Thanks

Related to Solving Kinetic Theory Homework: Work Done By External Agent

1. What is the definition of work done by an external agent in kinetic theory?

Work done by an external agent in kinetic theory refers to the energy transferred by a force acting on an object, causing it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the change in kinetic energy of the object and is typically measured in joules (J).

2. How is work done by an external agent calculated in kinetic theory?

The work done by an external agent in kinetic theory is calculated using the formula W = F * d, where W is the work done (in J), F is the force applied (in N), and d is the distance moved (in m). This formula assumes that the force and distance are in the same direction.

3. What is the relationship between work done by an external agent and kinetic energy?

The work done by an external agent is directly related to the change in kinetic energy of an object. If the work done is positive, then the kinetic energy increases, and if the work done is negative, then the kinetic energy decreases. This relationship is described by the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the work done by an external agent in kinetic theory?

The direction of the force has a significant impact on the work done by an external agent in kinetic theory. When the force and distance are in the same direction, the work done is positive, and the kinetic energy increases. However, when the force and distance are in opposite directions, the work done is negative, and the kinetic energy decreases.

5. Can the work done by an external agent be negative in kinetic theory?

Yes, the work done by an external agent can be negative in kinetic theory. This occurs when the force and distance are in opposite directions, causing the object to lose kinetic energy. Negative work done is often associated with friction or other forms of resistance that oppose the motion of an object.