Solving Kinetics & Arrhenius Equation: Find A & Ea

In summary, the activation energy and Arrhenius parameter can be determined from the temperature dependence of the Arrhenius equation. To find these values, one can plot lnk vs 1/T to get a straight line, with Ea as the slope and A as the exponent of the intercept. The collision theory expression for A can be used to show that A is approximately constant over a range of temperatures. Alternatively, the ratio of A at two different temperatures can be approximated by the square root of the ratio of those temperatures. Therefore, A can be considered independent of temperature for this calculation.
chemphys1

Homework Statement

The activation energy and Arrhenius paramter can be found from its temperature dependence
the Arrhenius equation

k=Aexp(-Ea/RT) --> lnk=lnA - Ea/RT

Given data is 5 temperatures with their corresponding k values

Q1) From this data calculate A and Ea

q2)
Here A has been considered independent of temperature. Show this is a good approximation by comparing ratios A(T2)/A(T1) and exp(-Ea/RT2)/exp(-Ea/RT1)
(T1 300K T2 500K)
(use collision theory expression for A)

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1) Ok so this bit I think is fine. To find Ea and A I plotted lnk vs 1/T to get a straight line

Ea = -k x R = slope of the line x 8.314

then A is exp(intercept)

So I got both the values from the graph.

Not sure about the second part though:

Q2)can only find collision theory 'A' as d^2(8kbT/u)^1/2
So I don't really understand which equation I'm supposed to be using to find A at T1 and A at T2?

Then for exp(-Ea/RT2)/exp(-Ea/RT1) I'm just using the Ea value I found from the graph, just changing the temperatures.

I'm guessing the ratios are supposed to turn out to be similarHelp much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
chemphys1 said:
Not sure about the second part though:

Q2)can only find collision theory 'A' as d^2(8kbT/u)^1/2
So I don't really understand which equation I'm supposed to be using to find A at T1 and A at T2?

Then for exp(-Ea/RT2)/exp(-Ea/RT1) I'm just using the Ea value I found from the graph, just changing the temperatures.

I'm guessing the ratios are supposed to turn out to be similarHelp much appreciated!
You've already found Ea and A at 300K from the graph that you plotted. The thing to focus on from collision theory is that A is proportional to the square root of T:
$$A \propto \sqrt{T}$$
The proportionality constant isn't going to change with temperature, so you're just going to get
$$A = k_{prop}T$$
You can plug in the value you found for A in part 1 of your question, and plug in T=300K to find ##k_{prop}##. Then you can put this back in the above equation along with T=500K to get the value for what A would be at 500K.

Another option is simply to notice that
$$\frac{A_{500K}}{A_{300K}} = \sqrt{\frac{500K}{300K}} \approx 1.29$$
since the other constants in your collision theory expression for A all cancel. So even over a range of 200 degrees, the prefactor only changes by less than 30%. Thus constant A turns out to be a decent approximation.

1. What is the Arrhenius equation and how is it used in kinetics?

The Arrhenius equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the rate of a chemical reaction in terms of the temperature and activation energy. It is used in kinetics to determine the rate constant of a reaction and to predict how changing the temperature will affect the reaction rate.

2. How do you calculate the activation energy using the Arrhenius equation?

The activation energy (Ea) can be calculated by rearranging the Arrhenius equation to solve for Ea. The equation is ln(k) = -Ea/RT + ln(A), where k is the rate constant, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and A is the pre-exponential factor. By plotting ln(k) vs. 1/T and finding the slope of the line, the activation energy can be determined.

3. What is the significance of the pre-exponential factor in the Arrhenius equation?

The pre-exponential factor (A) represents the frequency of collisions between reactant molecules and is a measure of the likelihood of successful collisions leading to a reaction. It takes into account the orientation of the molecules and the number of collisions per unit time. A higher value of A indicates a higher reaction rate at a given temperature.

4. Can the Arrhenius equation be used for all types of reactions?

No, the Arrhenius equation is only valid for reactions that follow the Arrhenius behavior, meaning that the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the temperature and activation energy. Other types of reactions, such as those with a complex mechanism or involving catalysts, may have different rate equations.

5. How does changing the temperature affect the rate of a reaction according to the Arrhenius equation?

According to the Arrhenius equation, increasing the temperature leads to an increase in the rate of a reaction. This is because at higher temperatures, the reactant molecules have more kinetic energy, making them move and collide more frequently, leading to a higher chance of successful collisions and a faster reaction rate. Conversely, decreasing the temperature will decrease the rate of the reaction.