Solving Linear Recurrence: ax_k+1 + bx_k + c

In summary, the question involves a recurrence of the form x_k+2 = ax_k+1 + bx_k + c and explores the possibility of finding a value for p such that if y_k = x_k + p, then y_k+2 = ay_k+1 + by_k. By combining equations and using the given information, it is possible to solve for p, which is equal to c divided by the sum of a, b, and -1.
Parth Dave
Consider the recurrence x_k+2 = ax_k+1 + bx_k + c where c may not be zero.

If a + b is not equal to 1 show that p can be found such that, if we set y_k = x_k + p, then y_k+2 = ay_k+1 + by_k. [Hence, the sequence x_k can be found provided y_k can be found]

First of all, sorry about the messiness, I don't know how to use LaTeX. Now, this is the question exactly as it is from the question sheet. My problem is, I don't understand the question. And its kind of really hard to start the question without understanding it :mad: . My biggest concern is, what the heck is p and where does it come from? The way I read it, p is just -c.

Thx in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.You should learn "tex".
2.Hypothetis:[tex] x_{k+2}=ax_{k+1}+bx_{k}+c [/tex] (1)
[tex] y_{k}=x_{k}+p [/tex] (2)
[tex] y_{k+2}=ay_{k+1}+by_{k} [/tex] (3)
3.Question:[tex] p=...? [/tex]

4.From (2) u have:
[tex] y_{k+2}=x_{k+2}+p [/tex] (4)
Combining (1) and (4),u get:
[tex] y_{k+2}=ax_{k+1}+bx_{k}+c+p[/tex] (5)
Equate (5) with (3),make use of (2) and extract 'p':

Answer:[tex] p=\frac{c}{a+b-1} [/tex]

Daniel.

Ah, it all makes sense. Can't believe I never saw that. Thx alot!

Related to Solving Linear Recurrence: ax_k+1 + bx_k + c

1. What is a linear recurrence relation?

A linear recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that describes a sequence of numbers where each term is a linear combination of the previous terms. In other words, the value of each term can be obtained by multiplying the previous terms by a set of coefficients and adding them together.

2. How do you solve a linear recurrence relation?

To solve a linear recurrence relation, you need to find a closed-form expression for the n-th term of the sequence. This can be done by using various methods such as substitution, characteristic roots, or generating functions. Once the closed-form expression is obtained, you can plug in the values of n to find the corresponding term in the sequence.

3. What is the characteristic equation in a linear recurrence relation?

The characteristic equation is a polynomial equation that is used to find the closed-form expression for a linear recurrence relation. It is obtained by setting the coefficients of the linear recurrence relation equal to the powers of a variable, usually denoted as r. Solving this equation will give you the characteristic roots, which are used to find the closed-form expression.

4. Can a linear recurrence relation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear recurrence relation can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be multiple closed-form expressions for the n-th term of the sequence. The number of solutions depends on the degree of the characteristic equation and the values of the characteristic roots.

5. How is solving a linear recurrence relation useful in real-life applications?

Linear recurrence relations can be used to model various real-life situations, such as population growth, financial investments, and chemical reactions. By solving these equations, we can predict future values in the sequence and make informed decisions based on the trends and patterns in the data.