Solving Logarithmic Equations: Expert Help with Different Bases

• MHB
  • Thread starter lastochka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation ${2}^{2x+19}$=${3}^{x-31}$ by taking the natural log of both sides and applying the rule $\log_a\left(b^c\right)=c\log_a(b)$. The correct solution is found to be x=-164.163.
lastochka
Hello,

I am trying to solve this, but the bases are different and I am not sure how to proceed with it...
Solve the following equation. If necessary, enter your answer as an expression involving natural logarithms or as a decimal approximation that is correct to at least four decimal places.

${2}^{2x+19}$=${3}^{x-31}$

Please, help!
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try taking the natural log of both sides, then apply the rule:

\(\displaystyle \log_a\left(b^c\right)=c\log_a(b)\)

What do you get...can you now solve for $x$?

Thank you for the answer, but I am still not sure...
Here is what I did
$\ln\left({{2}^{2x+19}}\right)$=$\ln\left({{3}^{x-31}}\right)$

2x+19$\ln\left({2}\right)$=x-31$\ln\left({3}\right)$

x=$\frac{-31$\ln\left({3}\right)}{-19$\ln\left({2}\right)}$

x=2.58599

But the answer is incorrect.
Please, let me know what am I doing wrong

Okay, after applying the log rule I posted, you should have:

\(\displaystyle (2x+19)\ln(2)=(x-31)\ln(3)\)

Upon distribution of the logs, you then get:

\(\displaystyle 2x\ln(2)+19\ln(2)=x\ln(3)-31\ln(3)\)

Now try solving for $x$...:D

Yes, thank you! I just realized that I didn't do another step...must be tired...
Here what I have so far
2lnx-xln3=-31ln3-19ln2

x(2ln2) - (ln3)=-31ln3-19ln2

x=$\frac{-31ln3-19ln2}{2ln2-ln3}$

x=-164.163

I checked, the answer is right.
MarkFL, thank you so much for help!

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation in which the variable appears in the exponent. It can be written in the form logb(x) = y, where b is the base of the logarithm, x is the value being evaluated, and y is the exponent.

2. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power rules. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value.

3. What are the common applications of logarithmic equations in science?

Logarithmic equations are used in many scientific fields, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and economics. They are particularly useful in modeling exponential growth and decay, measuring pH levels, and calculating sound and light intensity.

4. How do I know if I need to use a logarithmic equation in my problem?

You may need to use a logarithmic equation if your problem involves exponential relationships, such as growth or decay, or if the variable appears in the exponent. Additionally, logarithms are often used to simplify complex calculations, so they can be helpful in solving difficult equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with logarithmic equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with logarithmic equations include forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms, using the wrong base for the logarithm, and not checking for extraneous solutions. It is also important to remember that logarithms are undefined for negative numbers and zero.