Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com

• Thread starter Anymodal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blog
In summary, the speaker encountered a problem in an old paper and was unable to solve it. The problem involves finding a function ƒ(t) that satisfies a given condition. They are unsure if the problem requires finding a specific solution or a general one. They ask for help and are suggested to try simple functions. They then realize that ƒ(t)=t is the simplest solution. However, they are still curious about finding a more general solution.
Anymodal
Hi, I came upon this problem in an old paper in my desk. I remember that I read it on the internet (I'm almost sure from the math blog gaussianos.com) and couldn't solve it. I study engineering.
The problem is to find an ƒ(t) such that:

ƒ[(x^2) + x*y + ƒ(y)] = [ƒ(x)]^2 + x*ƒ(y) + y

I'm not sure if it asked to find a general function that meets this condition or just a particular solution.
Anyone knows how to get their hands around it?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Anymodal said:
Hi, I came upon this problem in an old paper in my desk. I remember that I read it on the internet (I'm almost sure from the math blog gaussianos.com) and couldn't solve it. I study engineering.
The problem is to find an ƒ(t) such that:

ƒ[(x^2) + x*y + ƒ(y)] = [ƒ(x)]^2 + x*ƒ(y) + y

I'm not sure if it asked to find a general function that meets this condition or just a particular solution.
Anyone knows how to get their hands around it?
Thanks!

You could always try a few functions, starting with the simplest you can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. f (t)=t is the simplest solution... how could have I not seen it... anyway I am still curious about how to approach this problem to solve it analytically to find the more general and widest solution possible.

Thank you very much!

Likes Mentallic

1. What is the purpose of "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com"?

The purpose of "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com" is to provide a platform for discussing and solving challenging math problems. The blog encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills through the exploration of mathematical concepts and techniques.

2. How often are new math problems posted on "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com"?

New math problems are typically posted on "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com" once a week. However, the frequency may vary depending on the complexity of the problems and the availability of the blog's author.

3. Are the solutions to the math problems on "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com" verified?

Yes, the solutions to the math problems on "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com" are verified by the blog's author. In some cases, the solutions may also be verified by other mathematicians or experts in the field.

4. Can I submit my own math problems to be featured on "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com"?

Yes, "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com" welcomes submissions from readers. If you have a challenging math problem that you would like to see discussed and solved on the blog, you can submit it through the contact form on the website.

5. Are there any resources or tools provided on "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com" to help with solving the math problems?

Yes, "Solving Math Blog Problem - Gaussianos.com" offers a variety of resources and tools to aid with solving math problems. These include step-by-step solution guides, interactive demonstrations, and recommended readings for further exploration of the topic.