Solving Maxwell's Equations for Electric Field of AC Wire

In summary, Gene is having trouble figuring out how to solve Maxwell's equations for the electric field of an AC wire. He is using Ohm's law and assumes the voltage waveform is 120sin(60t). The current is equation to I(t)=120sin(60t)/14. However, when solving for the curl of the magnetic field, he runs into trouble. He is using Stokes theorem and finds that the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the radius of the wire. The electric field is negligible at low frequencies.
nlis12
I'm having trouble figuring out how to solve Maxwell's equations for the electric field of an AC wire.

I assume the Voltage waveform in the wire is 120sin(60t). This circuit only has a 14ohm heater in it, according to Ohm's law I=V/R. The current is equation to I(t)=120sin(60t)/14

It is common knowledge that a current carrying wire creates a magnetic field in the THETA direction.
This magnetic field is :
B(t)= uo*I(t)/(2*pi*r) theta direction

Where r is the cylindrical, radial distance from the x axis.

Now plugging in B(t) into ampere's law, I run into trouble when solving for the time varying electric field. Particularly when calculating the curl of B(t). I always get zero.

Am I setting this problem up correctly? Any hints as to where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, well the ##\nabla \times B## is not zero because the field is sort of circular. You wrote that it is in the ##\theta## direction. That is correct; if you surround the wire by a circle, the field would be tangent to the circle. Show me how you calculate the curl. Stokes theorem gives a relationship between the curl of B and the the product of ##|B|## times the circumference.

Thanks for your question!

Likes nlis12
Gene,

Please see this link, this is how I solved the Curl of the Magnetic Field
PTDC0027_zpss30aydk4.jpg

Attachments

• PTDC0027_zpss30aydk4.jpg
    PTDC0027_zpss30aydk4.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 400
Hi there,
Could you please tell me which way is the Z axis going? And the x and y axes?

It would be easier to use Stokes theorem. You just integrate around a circle.

Regards,
Gene

Likes nlis12
cylindrical_coordinates.png

Here is a diagram of the coordinate system I used.
Theta starts at the positive x-axis and rotates towards the positive y axis.
r = rho , which is the distance away from the z axis.

Attachments

• cylindrical_coordinates.png
    cylindrical_coordinates.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 448
Gene Naden said:
Hi there,
Could you please tell me which way is the Z axis going? And the x and y axes?

It would be easier to use Stokes theorem. You just integrate around a circle.

Regards,
Gene
I will try stokes theorem!

Thank you for your help!

Which way is the current going in your coordinate system, please?

Likes nlis12
Gene Naden said:
Which way is the current going in your coordinate system, please?

Gene,

In my problem, I stated AC current. The current waveform is modeled by a sinewave, so half the time it is in the positive z axis and half the time it is in the negative z axis.

I guess, I don't understand why you wouldn't just integrate in cylindrical units as opposed to cartesian, because this problem was set up in cylindrical units.

Actually, I misled you. ##\nabla \times B## is equal to zero outside the wire. It is only nonzero along the wire where ##\rho=0## (where the current is).

Likes nlis12
So I think your calculation of the curl is correct. And you have the right dependence of the magnetic field on ##\rho##. It is inversely proportional. And the magnetic field alternates back and forth as the current alternates. The question in my mind is whether or not this produces an electric field. At low frequencies (like 60 Hz), I would say the electric field is negligible.

You don't say exactly what the statement of the problem is. Did the instructor just say "solve Maxwell's equations" and leave it at that?

Regards,
Gene

Likes nlis12
I just noticed your question about coordinate systems. You are absolutely right; use cylindrical coordinates for this problem.

Likes nlis12
Gene Naden said:
I just noticed your question about coordinate systems. You are absolutely right; use cylindrical coordinates for this problem.

Thank you for helping me clear this up!
Much appreciated!

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s and are essential in understanding electromagnetism.

2. How do you solve Maxwell's Equations for the electric field of an AC wire?

To solve Maxwell's Equations for the electric field of an AC wire, you would first need to understand the properties of the wire, such as its geometry and the current passing through it. Then, you would use mathematical techniques, such as vector calculus, to solve the equations and determine the electric field at a given point in space.

3. What is the significance of solving Maxwell's Equations for the electric field of an AC wire?

Solving Maxwell's Equations for the electric field of an AC wire allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electric fields in a variety of electrical systems. This knowledge is crucial in the design and operation of electrical devices and technologies.

4. Are there any challenges in solving Maxwell's Equations for the electric field of an AC wire?

Yes, there can be challenges in solving Maxwell's Equations, especially for complex systems or non-uniform fields. Additionally, the equations involve calculus and can be difficult to solve analytically, so numerical methods may be necessary.

5. How is solving Maxwell's Equations for the electric field of an AC wire applied in real-world scenarios?

Solving Maxwell's Equations for the electric field of an AC wire has many practical applications, such as in the design of power grids, motors, and generators. It is also used in telecommunications, satellite communications, and medical imaging technologies.