Solving Maxwell's Equations in Laser Cavity | Tips and Troubleshooting

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempts to solve Maxwell's Equations in a laser cavity with length L. The speaker has searched for a solution online and has started by using the field E(x,y,z,t) and taking its phasor form. The Maxwell's equations are then applied to this phasor form and the speaker asks for any ideas or suggestions.
atha
Hello guys,

I've been trying to solve Maxwell's Equations in a laser cavity, with length L.
However I cannot...
I've searched over the net to find a proper solution but I couldn't.

I started by taking a field E(x,y,x,t)=E0 e(x,y)e-jw te-jb z.
I take the phasor E(x,y,z)=e(x,y)e-jb z and I put it in the Maxwell's equations

[itex]\nabla x E = -j \omega \mu_0 H[/itex]
[itex]\nabla x H = j \omega \epsilon_0 E[/itex]

where H=the phasor of the magnetic field=[itex]h(x,y)e^{-j \beta z}[/itex].

Any ideas? Please...

Physics news on Phys.org
http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/95.658%282011%29/Lecture5.pdf" You start with the waveguide equations and then apply boundary conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving Maxwell's Equations in Laser Cavity | Tips and Troubleshooting

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are essential for understanding the behavior of light, electricity, and magnetism.

2. Why is it important to solve Maxwell's Equations in laser cavity?

Solving Maxwell's Equations in a laser cavity allows us to predict the behavior of light inside the cavity and optimize the design and performance of the laser. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles behind laser operation and how to control and manipulate light for various applications.

3. What are some common tips for solving Maxwell's Equations in laser cavity?

Some common tips for solving Maxwell's Equations in laser cavity include carefully defining the boundary conditions, using appropriate mathematical techniques, and verifying the results with experimental data. It is also important to check for mistakes in the equations and assumptions, as well as considering the effects of noise and other external factors.

4. What are some common troubleshooting techniques for solving Maxwell's Equations in laser cavity?

If the results from solving Maxwell's Equations do not match experimental data or seem physically unrealistic, it is important to carefully review the assumptions and boundary conditions used in the calculations. It may also be helpful to check for numerical errors, consider the effects of nonlinearities, or consult with other experts in the field.

5. How can solving Maxwell's Equations in laser cavity be applied in real-world situations?

Solving Maxwell's Equations in laser cavity has a wide range of applications, including designing and optimizing laser systems for various applications such as medical treatments, telecommunications, and industrial manufacturing. It also plays a crucial role in developing new technologies such as optical computing, quantum information processing, and high-power laser systems for fusion energy research.