Solving MOSFET Circuit Problem with Q1 & Q2

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two MOSFET transistors, Q1 and Q2, in saturation mode with specified values for their parameters. The conversation also introduces a contradiction in the circuit, as well as a possible solution in using Early voltages. The conversation ends with a suggestion to correct a diagram of the circuit and a mention of a simulation showing similar results.
etf
Here is my circuit:

kolo.JPG

Q1 is NMOS and Q2 is PMOS.
Q1: VT1=0.7V, beta1=2mA/V^2
Q2: VT2=-0.9V, beta2=1.8mA/V^2.
I assumed that both transistors work in saturation. In this mode it must be:
Q1: VG1S1 > VT1, VG1D1 < VT1, ID1=beta1*(VG1S1-VT1)^2/2,
Q2: VS2G2 > -VT2, VD2G2 < -VT2, ID2=beta2*(VS2G2+VT2)^2/2.

We see on scheme that ID2=IB2. Using KCL we get ID1=IB1-ID2=100uA.
Using KVL we get VG1S1=VG. If we put VG1S1=VG in our equation for drain's current in saturation mode we get that ID1=9*10^(-5) A so our equation doesn't hold? (ID1=IB1-ID2=100uA.) :confused:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am confused.
Q1 is a voltage follower that sets the voltage to the common source and 200uA current source.
Q2 can only have 100uA current sink.
Q1 current must carry the difference which is –100 uA, (backwards).
But Q2 is controlled by VB between the drain and gate, not the source.

You have specified voltages and currents and the V~I relationships.
There is no degree of freedom, so you have an over-specified contradiction.

Can you produce a circuit diagram that shows the circuit you are modelling, as it would be implemented between supply rails. That should identify the contradiction.

Likes 1 person
This is example from my textbook. Here is complete text and original scheme:
Find modes of operation of MOSFETs, their Q points, output DC voltage and voltage gain Av. VG=1V, Vt1=0.7V, Vt2=-0.9V, VA1=VA2=20V, beta1=2mA/V^2, beta2=1.8mA/V^2, IB1=200uA, IB2=100uA, VB=1V.

You can see solution below "Rezultat".

Attachments

• 24052014886.jpg
    24052014886.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
MOSFET circuit contradiction

Just to mention that NI Multisim 13.0 refuses to simulate original circuit, but if I put VG=1.0162V (100*10^-6 approximately equals 2*10^(-3)*(1.0162-0.7)^2/2 so relation ID1=beta1*(VG1S1-VT1)^2/2 is satisfied) instead of Vg=1V Multisim simulates circuit.

Last edited:
Since there are finite Early voltages (VA1=VA2=20V) I must include these voltages in drain's currents like this:
ID1=(beta1/2)*((VG1S1-VT1)^2)*(1+lambda*VD1S1),
ID2=(beta2/2)*((VS2G2+VT2)^2)*(1+lambda*VS1D1),
where lambda is coefficient of channel modulation, lambda=1/VA.

You show as a "folded cascode" amplifier (CS + CG).
First what you need is to use this equation
Id1 = 0.5*β*(Vgs1 + Vt1)^2 * (1 + λ*Vds1) and solve is for Vds1.
Because from inspection we know that Vgs1 = 1V and Id1 = 100μA.
After we solve this we get Vds1 = 2.22222V. Thanks to this we can find Vgs2 and solve for Vsd2.
Vgs2 = - 1.22222V and Vsd2 = 1.40309V

And Vout = Vds1 - Vsd2 = 2.22222V - 1.40309V = 0.81913V

And simulation (LTspice) shows similar result.

Edit... And your multisim digram is completely wrong. Q1 is upside down and you have no VDD source.

Attachments

• ff.PNG
    ff.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is a MOSFET and how does it work?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of semiconductor device used in electronic circuits. It operates by controlling the flow of current between its source and drain terminals using an electric field created by a voltage applied to its gate terminal.

What is the purpose of using Q1 and Q2 in a MOSFET circuit?

Q1 and Q2 are used in a MOSFET circuit to amplify the input signal and control the output signal. Q1 acts as a voltage amplifier while Q2 acts as a current amplifier, allowing for greater control and precision in the circuit's performance.

How can I solve a MOSFET circuit problem with Q1 and Q2?

To solve a MOSFET circuit problem with Q1 and Q2, you will need to analyze the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. You will also need to understand the behavior and characteristics of MOSFETs, such as their different modes of operation and the effects of varying voltages and currents on their performance.

What are the common issues that may arise when solving a MOSFET circuit problem with Q1 and Q2?

Some common issues that may arise when solving a MOSFET circuit problem with Q1 and Q2 include incorrect biasing, incorrect calculations, and improper component selection. It is important to carefully double-check all calculations and ensure that the circuit is properly biased for the desired performance.

Are there any tools or resources that can assist in solving MOSFET circuit problems with Q1 and Q2?

Yes, there are many online resources and software tools available that can assist in solving MOSFET circuit problems with Q1 and Q2. These include circuit simulators, online calculators, and instructional videos and tutorials. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of circuit analysis and MOSFET behavior to effectively use these tools.