Solving Nilpotent Problem in Abstract Algebra

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
In summary: If $n=a^kb$ for some $a,b\in \Bbb{Z}$, then $\overline{ab}^{\,k}=\overline{a^k}\,\overline{b}^{\,k}=\overline{0}\,\overline{b}^{\,k}=\overline{0}$.In summary, the conversation is about proving that if an element in a ring $R$ is nilpotent, then it is also a nilpotent element in the quotient ring $\Bbb{Z}/n\Bbb{Z}$. The notation $\overline{ab}$ is defined as $a * b$ (mod n). The proof involves
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone,

I am stuck with an exercise problem. The problem states from Dummit and Foote Ed. 2 Abstract Algebra: "An element $x$ in $R$ (where $R$ is a ring with 1) is called nilpotent if $x^{m}=0$ for some $m \in \Bbb{Z}^{+}$. Show that if $n=a^{k}b$ for some $a,b \in \Bbb{Z}$, then $\overline{ab}$ is a element of $\Bbb{Z}/n\Bbb{Z}$."

My attempt:

Example: When $n=6=3\cdot 2$, then the only element will be $\overline{3*2}$ in $\Bbb{Z}/6\Bbb{Z}$.

Proof: Suppose $n=a^{k}b$ for some $a,b \in \Bbb{Z}$. (Do I need some cases? If so, three cases?)

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:
"An element $x$ in $R$ (where $R$ is a ring with 1) is called nilpotent if $x^{m}=0$ for some $m \in \Bbb{Z}^{+}$. Show that if $n=a^{k}b$ for some $a,b \in \Bbb{Z}$, then $\overline{ab}$ is a element of $\Bbb{Z}/n\Bbb{Z}$."
Could you define the notation $\overline{ab}$? Also, it is strange that the statement one is asked to prove does not mention the concept "nilpotent", which is defined right before that.

$\overline{ab}:=a * b $(mod n)

Sorry. I typed quickly and I forgot about the most important information. If $n=a^kb$ for some $a,b\in \Bbb{Z}$, then $\overline{ab}$ is a nilpotent element of $\Bbb{Z}/n\Bbb{Z}$. Again, I am sorry. Cbarker1

Last edited:
Consider $\overline{ab}^{\,k}$.

1. What is the Nilpotent Problem in Abstract Algebra?

The Nilpotent Problem in Abstract Algebra is a mathematical problem that asks whether a given group or ring contains a non-trivial nilpotent element. In other words, it is a question about the existence of certain elements in a mathematical structure called a nilpotent group or ring.

2. Why is the Nilpotent Problem important?

The Nilpotent Problem is important because it is closely related to other important problems in Abstract Algebra, such as the Classification of Finite Simple Groups and the Burnside Problem. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as group theory, representation theory, and algebraic geometry.

3. What is a nilpotent element?

A nilpotent element is an element in a group or ring that, when raised to a certain power, becomes the identity element (or zero in the case of rings). In other words, the element "vanishes" after a finite number of operations. This property is important because it helps to classify and understand the structure of groups and rings.

4. How is the Nilpotent Problem solved?

The Nilpotent Problem is solved by using various techniques and theorems from Abstract Algebra, such as the Jordan-Hölder Theorem and the Classification of Finite Simple Groups. It also involves the study of specific types of groups and rings, such as nilpotent groups and nilpotent rings, and their properties.

5. Are there any open problems related to the Nilpotent Problem?

Yes, there are still open problems related to the Nilpotent Problem, such as the existence of nilpotent elements in infinite groups and rings, and the classification of nilpotent groups and rings of certain orders. These open problems continue to be an active area of research in Abstract Algebra.