Solving ODE numerically in Mathematica - I get 'ndnum' error

In summary: In this case, you will need to reformulate your equations. Look at the documentation for "NDSolve" and check out the "StiffnessSwitching" method to start with.In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to numerically solve a system of coupled differential equations. The code includes various constants and functions, but there are multiple errors present. After fixing some of the errors, the system still encounters numerical instability problems. It is suggested to plot the values and try different methods and settings to address the issue. If the system is still ill-conditioned, it may need to be reformulated.
LeoDimieri
Hello everyone!
I'm trying hard to solve numerically a system of coupled differential equations of first order, but I get this error everytime.. I can't find the reason.. maybe you can help me, I'd really apreciate that.

This is the code:

Jg=0.000043;
Kg=0.5;
Bg=0.06;
Bpm=0.5;
r=0.11;
M=0.0000677;
N1=100;
N2=-200;
t1a=9.7;
t1d=0.2;
T1=20;
t2a=2.4;
t2d=1.9;
T2=26;
kte=0.4;
ktl=0.76;
ks=1.2;
ftc=1.5;
F0=0.7;
l0=0.2;
c=2;
kml=0.7;
kme=1;
kpm=0.32;
lmc=1.2;
lms=1.4;

Fact[x_,y_]=F0*(1-(((x-1)/0.5)^2))*((l0-y)/(l0+c*y));
Kt[z_]=(kte*z)+ktl;
Fpe[x_]=(kml/kme)*(exp ((kml*(x-lms)*(180/\[Pi]*r))-1));

S= NDSolve[{x1'[t]==x2[t],x2'[t]==(1/Jg)*(x7[t]-x8[t]-(Bg*x2[t])-(Kg*x1[t])),x3'[t]==x4[t],x4'[t]==(980/M)*(x7[t]-(x9[t]*Fact[x3[t],x4[t]])-Fpe[x3[t]]-(Bpm*(180/(N[\[Pi]]*r))*x4[t])),x5'[t]==x4[t],x6'[t]==(980/M)*(x8[t]-(x10[t]*Fact[x5[t],x6[t]])-Fpe[x5[t]]-(Bpm*(180/(N[\[Pi]]*r))*x6[t])),x7'[t]==Kt[x7[t]]*(-x2[t]-((180/(N[\[Pi]]*r))*x4[t])),x8'[t]==Kt[x8[t]]*(-x2[t]-((180/(N[\[Pi]]*r))*x6[t])),x9'[t]==(1/(t1a*(N[HeavisideTheta[t]-HeavisideTheta[t-T1]])+t1d*(N[HeavisideTheta[t-T1]])))*(N1-x9[t]),x10'[t]==(1/(t2a*(N[HeavisideTheta[t]-HeavisideTheta[t-T2]])+t2d*(N[HeavisideTheta[t-T2]])))*(N2-x10[t]),x1[0]==0,x2[0]==0,x3[0]==4,x4[0]==0,x5[0]==4,x6[0]==0,x7[0]==20,x8[0]==20,x9[0]==0.17,x10[0]==0.17},{x1[t],x2[t],x3[t],x4[t],x5[t],x6[t],x7[t],x8[t],x9[t],x10[t]},{t,0,5}]

NDSolve::ndnum: Encountered non-numerical value for a derivative at t == 0.`. >>
Every constant is numerically defined above.. What am I doing wrong here??

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
There may be more errors, but there are at least two. First, in your definition of Fpe you are using the undefined symbol "exp". I assume that you meant "Exp[]" (note the square brackets as well as the capitalization). Second, HeavisideTheta[t] is undefined for t=0. You may want to use UnitStep[t] instead.

There may be other problems, but frankly this is very difficult to read. You need to really test your inputs to a function like this and make sure that all of them are correct. Chances are pretty high that your constants like M and Jg will cause numerical instabilities.

Thanks very much! I still got an error, but it's different now... I fixed the functions errors and adjust a little bit the constants M and Jg becouse they we're close to zero..[tex]\text{Fact}[\text{x$\_$},\text{y$\_$}]=\text{F0}*(1-(((x-1)/0.5){}^{\wedge}2))*((\text{l0}-y)/(\text{l0}+c*y));[/tex]
[tex]\text{Kt}[\text{z$\_$}]=(\text{kte}*z)+\text{ktl};[/tex]
[tex]\text{Fpe}[\text{x$\_$}]=(\text{kml}/\text{kme})*(\text{Exp}[\text{kml}*(x-\text{lms})*(180/\pi *r)]-1);[/tex]

S= NDSolve[{
x1'[t]==x2[t],
x2'[t]==(1/Jg)*(x7[t]-x8[t]-(Bg*x2[t])-(Kg*x1[t])),
x3'[t]==x4[t],x4'[t]==(980/M)*(x7[t]-(x9[t]*Fact[x3[t],x4[t]])-Fpe[x3[t]]-(Bpm*(180/(Pi*r))*x4[t])),
x5'[t]==x4[t],
x6'[t]==(980/M)*(x8[t]-(x10[t]*Fact[x5[t],x6[t]])-Fpe[x5[t]]-(Bpm*(180/(Pi*r))*x6[t])),x7'[t]==Kt[x7[t]]*(-x2[t]-((180/(Pi*r))*x4[t])),
x8'[t]==Kt[x8[t]]*(-x2[t]-((180/(Pi*r))*x6[t])),
x9'[t]==(1/(t1a*(UnitStep[t]-UnitStep[t-T1])+t1d*(UnitStep[t-T1])))*(N1-x9[t]),
x10'[t]==(1/(t2a*(UnitStep[t]-UnitStep[t-T2])+t2d*(UnitStep[t-T2])))*(N2-x10[t]),
x1[0]==0,x2[0]==0,x3[0]==4,x4[0]==0,x5[0]==4,x6[0]==0,x7[0]==20,x8[0]==20,x9[0]==0.17,x10[0]==0.17},
{x1[t],x2[t],x3[t],x4[t],x5[t],x6[t],x7[t],x8[t],x9[t],x10[t]},{t,1,5}]NDSolve::ndsz: At t == 0.02201988618427872`, step size is effectively zero; singularity or stiff system suspected. >>
NDSolve::ndsz: At t == 0.02201988618427872`, step size is effectively zero; singularity or stiff system suspected. >>
{}

I have separated the part of NDSolve into sentences, so it's a little bit more "readable"
What does that means now ??
Thank You!

Last edited:
That means that your system is running into numerical instability problems.

First, you need to plot all of your x1', x2', etc. values across the whole range of possible x and t values to see if any of them are blowing up anywhere. This is what I meant above by testing all of your inputs.

If they are all well behaved then you may want to try the "StiffnessSwitching" controller for the Method option. You probably should also specify a very small StartingStepSize and maybe even consider increasing your WorkingPrecision.

It may be that, even with all of the above, your system is simply a ill-conditioned system.

Likes Dr.ahmad adnan

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in science and engineering to model dynamic systems.

Why would I need to solve an ODE numerically?

In many cases, it is not possible to find an exact analytical solution for an ODE. In these situations, numerical methods are used to approximate the solution. This is especially useful for complex systems or systems with changing parameters.

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computational software program used for mathematical, scientific, and engineering calculations. It has a wide range of capabilities, including solving ODEs numerically.

What is the 'ndnum' error in Mathematica?

The 'ndnum' error is a common error message in Mathematica that indicates there is a problem with the numerical method being used to solve the ODE. This can be caused by various factors, such as incorrect input or settings, or the ODE itself may not have a numerical solution.

How can I troubleshoot the 'ndnum' error in Mathematica?

To troubleshoot the 'ndnum' error, you can try adjusting the numerical settings in Mathematica, checking your input for any mistakes, or seeking help from online resources or a mathematician or scientist experienced in solving ODEs. It may also be helpful to review the documentation for Mathematica's numerical methods and error messages to better understand the issue.