Solving Physics Problem: Sphere & Charge Sheet

In summary, the sphere moves at a speed of 1.8 meters per second when it is 0.100 meters above the sheet of charge.
wormwoodsilver101

Homework Statement

A small sphere with mass 5.00×10−7 kg and charge +6.00 μC is released from rest a distance of 0.400 m above a large horizontal insulating sheet of charge that has uniform surface charge density σ = +8.00 pC/m2.Using energy methods, calculate the speed of the sphere when it is
0.100 m above the sheet.

Homework Equations

V=integrate(E dl) from a to b
E=σ/2ε

The Attempt at a Solution

σql/2ε=0.5mv^2
(8*10^-12)(6*10^-6)(0.4-0.1)/2ε=0.5(5*10^-7)v^2
v=1.8m/s
But mastering physics keeps saying it is wrong
I don't know what did I did wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Wormwood, :welcome:

What if gravity were 19.62 m/s2 instead of 9.81 m/s2 ? Would it go just as fast then ?

What about gravity?

Both charges are positive, so why did it fall?

Ah, I totally ignored gravity >.<
With gravity the formula is:
mgh=σql/2ε+0.5mv^2
(5*10^-7)(9.81)(0.4-0.1)=(8*10^-12)(6*10^-6)(0.4-0.1)/2ε+0.5(5*10^-7)v^2
v=1.62m/s
The answer is finally correct.
Thanks for all the help >.<

wormwoodsilver101 said:
Ah, I totally ignored gravity >.<
With gravity the formula is:
mgh=σql/2ε+0.5mv^2
(5*10^-7)(9.81)(0.4-0.1)=(8*10^-12)(6*10^-6)(0.4-0.1)/2ε+0.5(5*10^-7)v^2
v=1.62m/s
The answer is finally correct.
Thanks for all the help >.<
Hey I understood the gravity was missing. But I still don't get how you arrived to this formula from the energy conservation. a and b refer to the initial and final positions.
If Ka+Uag+Uael=Kb+Ubg+Ubel and Ka=0 (at rest) and Ug=mgh and Uel=qEh
Then mgha + qEha = 0.5mv^2 + mghb + qEhb
Then v^2 = 2(mg+qE)(ha-hb)/m right? In your answer it seems like you had mg-qE instead of mg+qE!
And I think you're right about this but can you help me identify my mistake?

What are the directions of the gravitational and electric fields? (Bear in mind F = -dE/dx)

Likes JAAZeid
mjc123 said:
What are the directions of the gravitational and electric fields? (Bear in mind F = -dE/dx)
Ok so, both, the particle and the sheet, are positively charged therefore the electric forces are repulsive. So on the particle it's weight is mg(down) and the electric force on it is qE(up)!
But does this allow us to switch to a negative sign while working with Energies?

Yes; gravitational potential energy increases with height, electrical decreases with height. (Actually whether the energy is positive or negative depends on what you take as your zero, which is arbitrary, but the important thing is that the change from 0.4m to 0.1m is positive for one and negative for the other.)

Likes JAAZeid
mjc123 said:
Yes; gravitational potential energy increases with height, electrical decreases with height. (Actually whether the energy is positive or negative depends on what you take as your zero, which is arbitrary, but the important thing is that the change from 0.4m to 0.1m is positive for one and negative for the other.)
Thank you man! that was very helpful!

1. What is the formula for the electric field due to a point charge?

The formula for the electric field due to a point charge is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

2. How do you calculate the electric field at a point outside a charged sphere?

To calculate the electric field at a point outside a charged sphere, you can use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point.

3. What is the relationship between the electric field and the charge on a charged sheet?

The electric field due to a charged sheet is constant and is given by the formula E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. This means that the electric field is directly proportional to the surface charge density, and inversely proportional to the permittivity of free space.

4. How do you find the electric field at a point inside a charged sphere?

To find the electric field at a point inside a charged sphere, you can use the formula E = (kQr)/R^3, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the sphere, r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point, and R is the radius of the sphere.

5. Can the electric field inside a charged sphere be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a charged sphere can be zero if the point is located at the center of the sphere. This is because the electric field due to the charges on the sphere will cancel out at the center, resulting in a net electric field of zero.