Solving Physics Problems: Tension, Time & Mass

In summary: If you are not familiar with that formula, try to think of it intuitively. Since you have no initial velocity, your distance traveled in time 't' is just the acceleration 'a' times t^2. But of course you start at 1.51 m, so you have to add that as wellIn summary, for the second problem, solve for t in the equation d = 1.51 + 0t + (9.8/2)t^2, where d is the distance traveled in time t, and 9.8 is the acceleration due to gravity.
Alpha2
1. A bucket of mass 4.03 kg is pulled by a rope and accelerated straight upwards at a rate of 1.62 m/s2. What is the tension in the rope? Express your answer in Newtons.

2. Two masses are connected by a light string and pulley as shown below. The mass on the left is 2.34 kg and the mass on the right is 3.60 kg. The system is released from rest. If the heavier mass starts at a height of 1.51 m above the ground, at what time will it strike the ground? Express your answer in seconds.

3. A boy purchases a copy of the Mona Lisa and hangs it from two ropes as shown below. The angle, is 27.8 degrees. If the Mona Lisa's mass (including the frame) is 4.56 kg, what is the tension in each rope? Express your answer in Newtons.

~For the first one I got 46.02260000000001 Newtons... but I don't know. =/

Physics news on Phys.org
I know they're most likely 'easy,' but I am really bad at this. I'm just really looking for someone to guide me through them I guess.

Alpha2 said:
1. A bucket of mass 4.03 kg is pulled by a rope and accelerated straight upwards at a rate of 1.62 m/s2. What is the tension in the rope? Express your answer in Newtons.

2. Two masses are connected by a light string and pulley as shown below. The mass on the left is 2.34 kg and the mass on the right is 3.60 kg. The system is released from rest. If the heavier mass starts at a height of 1.51 m above the ground, at what time will it strike the ground? Express your answer in seconds.

3. A boy purchases a copy of the Mona Lisa and hangs it from two ropes as shown below. The angle, is 27.8 degrees. If the Mona Lisa's mass (including the frame) is 4.56 kg, what is the tension in each rope? Express your answer in Newtons.

~For the first one I got 46.02260000000001 Newtons... but I don't know. =/
Hi, Alpha2, welcome to PF, your first answer is correct (but get rid of all those extra numbers after the decimal point!), so you're doing something right :smile:, but please show your relevant equations and attempt at a solution for the next two, per forum rules , following the format listed when you post. Also, please post each question separately, showing what equations you think apply and how you might solve the problem. Also, a picture or sketch would help. Thanks.

For the second one, treat these types of problems as differences in masses. So having a 3kg mass on one side, and having a 2kg mass on the other side, is exactly the same as having a 1kg mass(3-2) on one side and nothing on the other.

So all you have to do is use your formula for classical mechanics which is d = x + vt + (at^2)/2. since your initial velocity and initial distance are both 0, you are going to have 1.51 x 2 = at^2. Once you find a, which shouldn't be hard, just solve for t.

and by distance i mean initial distance which i denoted using 'x'.

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or other similar objects when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a pulling force and its magnitude is equal to the force applied to the ends of the object.

2. How do you calculate tension in a physics problem?

To calculate tension, you need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which the object is being pulled. You can use the formula T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle at which the object is being pulled.

3. Can you have negative tension in a physics problem?

No, tension is always a positive quantity. It represents the force that is pulling on an object, so it cannot be negative. However, if the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the tension, then the tension would have a negative sign in the calculations.

4. How does time affect tension in a physics problem?

Time does not directly affect tension in a physics problem. However, the time taken for an object to move can affect the acceleration of the object, which in turn can affect the tension. For example, if an object is pulled with a constant force for a longer period of time, it will have a greater acceleration and thus a higher tension.

5. What is the relationship between mass and tension in a physics problem?

The relationship between mass and tension is indirect. The tension in a string or rope is dependent on the mass of the object it is supporting. A heavier object will require a higher tension to support it, while a lighter object will require less tension. However, the tension does not depend solely on the mass, as other factors like acceleration and angle also play a role in determining the tension.