Solving Poisson's Equation Using Finite Difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Finite Difference Method to solve Poisson's equation. The method involves discretizing the equation and using a set of equations for each grid point. The main question is how many points and what spacing should be chosen to produce reliable results. It is suggested to choose a spacing smaller than the characteristic length scale of the electrostatic potential, which can be determined by examining the charge density distribution. In numerical calculations, convergence is often used to determine the correct grid spacing.
aaaa202
I am using the Finite Difference Method to solve Poisson's equation

[tex] \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z^2} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon} [/tex]

To do it is discretized according to the Finite Difference Approximation of the second order derivative yielding the following set of equations for each grid point

[tex] \frac{1}{2\Delta z^2}(\phi_{i+1}+\phi_{i-1}-2\phi_{i}) = \frac{\rho_{i}}{\epsilon} [/tex]

My question is the following: Is there any simple way to see how many points and thus what spacing one should choose to produce reliable results? Obviously you should choose more than 5 but should I choose 500, 5000 or 50000? Asked another way: Over what length scale will the electrostatic potential vary significantly? I suppose if this is known one should make the spacing smaller than this length scale.
I once did a similar thing for the Schrödinger Equation. In this case it was straightforward to see what the characteristic wavelength of the solutions were and then to choose the spacing much smaller than this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there is clearly no concept of a characteristic wavelength here, but what we know for sure is that the spatial variation of ##\rho## is going to be the most important factor, so the first step is of course to examine the charge density distribution in the region of interest.

Most of the time in numerical calculations like these, there is no simple way to determine to correct grid spacing to use etc. from the onset. Rather what is often employed is to look for convergence: if increasing the number of points doesn't change the result significantly (to the level of tolerance or error that you desire) then we are done.

1. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the distribution of electric charges and the resulting electric potential. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to electrostatics and fluid dynamics.

2. What is finite difference?

Finite difference is a method for solving differential equations by approximating the derivatives with finite differences, which are differences between values of a function at a certain distance apart. It is commonly used in numerical analysis to solve partial differential equations.

3. How is Poisson's equation solved using finite difference?

To solve Poisson's equation using finite difference, the equation is first discretized into a finite number of points. Then, finite difference equations are used to approximate the derivatives at each point. These equations are then solved simultaneously to obtain the values of the electric potential at each point.

4. What are the advantages of using finite difference to solve Poisson's equation?

One advantage of using finite difference is that it is a relatively simple and straightforward method to implement. It also allows for a high degree of accuracy with a relatively small number of points. Additionally, finite difference can be easily applied to complex geometries and boundary conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using finite difference to solve Poisson's equation?

While finite difference is a powerful method for solving Poisson's equation, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for problems with highly irregular boundaries or discontinuous solutions. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution may be affected by the size of the grid used.