Solving Polynomial Inequalities

In summary, the original problem involves solving for x in an inequality with a product of expressions. By setting the expressions equal to zero, we can determine the intervals where the product is positive or negative. In this case, the answer is opposite of what was initially thought due to a negative coefficient, which changes the signs in the inequality. The easiest way to determine the signs is to consider the sign at positive infinity and then vary x through the roots.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

Solve the following. Express answers in set notation.
-2(x-2)(x-4)(x+3)<0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know my four intervals are x<-3 , -3<x<2 , 2<x<4 , x>4.

I thought the answer would be x<-3 and 2<x<4 however the answers are opposite of what I thought, they are -3<x<2 and x>4. I am having trouble understanding why this is. Would it be because there is a -2 that needs to leave so it is divided under both sides thus meaning instead of it being "less than zero" the sign changes and it becomes "greater than zero"? Would that be correct? Thanks just need claification.

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

-2(x-2)(x-4)(x+3)<0

Homework Equations

I thought the answer would be x<-3 and 2<x<4 however the answers are opposite of what I thought, they are -3<x<2 and x>4. I am having trouble understanding why this is. Would it be because there is a -2 that needs to leave so it is divided under both sides thus meaning instead of it being "less than zero" the sign changes and it becomes "greater than zero"? Would that be correct? Thanks just need claification.
Yes.

If ##-2z < 0## then ##2z > 0## as you said.
To check the entire expression you could simply take a number in one of your intervals and calculate the product.
Do you know how to write the answer in set notation? How would you do that?

Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

-2(x-2)(x-4)(x+3)<0

Homework Equations

If you set ##A = x-2##, ##B = x-4## and ##C = x+3## you must have ##A B C > 0## (changing the "-" to "+" and reversing the inequality, as you have already noted).

If a product of three numbers is positive, what are all the possibilities for their signs?

I suggest the easiest way is to figure out the sign at ##+\infty## then consider varying x and what happens to the sign as x passes through one of the roots (given that they are none of them repeated roots).

Related to Solving Polynomial Inequalities

1. What is the general process for solving polynomial inequalities?

The general process for solving polynomial inequalities involves the following steps:

• 1. Simplify the inequality by combining like terms and moving all terms to one side of the equation.
  • 2. Find the critical points by setting the expression equal to zero and solving for the variable.
  • 3. Plot the critical points on a number line and determine the intervals between them.
  • 4. Test a value from each interval in the original inequality to determine if it is a solution.
  • 5. Write the solution set using interval notation.

2. Can a polynomial inequality have multiple solutions?

Yes, a polynomial inequality can have multiple solutions. Depending on the degree of the polynomial, there may be multiple critical points and thus multiple intervals to test values in. Additionally, the inequality may have a solution set that includes both positive and negative numbers.

3. How do I know if my solution set is inclusive or exclusive?

The solution set for a polynomial inequality can be inclusive or exclusive, depending on the original inequality. If the inequality includes the greater than or equal to (≥) or less than or equal to (≤) symbols, the solution set is inclusive. If the inequality includes only the greater than (>) or less than (<) symbols, the solution set is exclusive.

4. What happens if I get a value that is not in the solution set when testing intervals?

If a value from an interval does not satisfy the original inequality, it is not a solution. This means that the interval does not contain any solutions and can be excluded from the final solution set.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve polynomial inequalities?

While a calculator can be helpful in finding critical points and graphing the inequality, it is important to also understand the steps involved in solving a polynomial inequality by hand. Relying solely on a calculator may result in errors or an incomplete understanding of the concept.