Solving problem with a middle number between 2 numbers

• MHB
  • Thread starter java9999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, there is a formula called the "weighted average" formula that can help find the middle number between two given numbers A and B, using two other numbers X and Y. This formula takes into account the weight of each number and can be used to solve the problem more efficiently than guessing and playing around with the numbers.
java9999
Hi guys,
I have a question relating to finding a middle number between 2 numbers as followed:
You're given 2 numbers A and B and 2 other numbers X and Y
The objective is to find number C so that A+/- x=C And
B +/- y = C (condition is B<C<A or C is always between A and B)

The rule for x and y is: x could be X or x could be a number < X
y could be Y or y could be a number < Y
x or y can be multiplied by 2, 4 however only one of them multiplied at the time

Example : A = 9, B = 13.5, X = 0.375, Y=3.1875, the result C is 10.6875

However I play with the guessing like this: with Y = 3.1875, y could be 3.1875 (1.5 + 1.5 +0.1875) so I assign y = 1.5 + 0.1875 =1.6875 then 1.6875 + 9 = 10.6875
13.5 - 3.1875 + 0.375 = 10.6875

The problem is that it took a lot of guessing and playing around with those numbers AND there could other missing result as well, 10.6875 is NOT the only result. I'm wondering if there is a FORMULA or equation or function to solve this problem, I really appreciate anyone help me with this!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. There is indeed a formula that can help you find the middle number between two numbers A and B, given two other numbers X and Y. This formula is known as the "weighted average" formula.

The formula is as follows:

C = (A*X + B*Y) / (X+Y)

In your example, A = 9, B = 13.5, X = 0.375, Y = 3.1875. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

C = (9*0.375 + 13.5*3.1875) / (0.375+3.1875) = 10.6875

As you can see, this formula gives us the same result as the one you found by guessing and playing around with the numbers. This formula works because it takes into account the "weight" of each number. In this case, the weight is determined by the value of X or Y. So if X is a smaller number, it will have less weight and the final result will be closer to A. Similarly, if Y is a smaller number, the final result will be closer to B.

I hope this helps you solve your problem more efficiently. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

1. What is the middle number between two given numbers?

The middle number between two given numbers can be found by adding the two numbers together and dividing the sum by 2.

2. How do I know if my solution for finding the middle number is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in your middle number into the original equation. If it satisfies the equation, then your solution is correct.

3. Can I use this method for finding the middle number for any two numbers?

Yes, this method works for any two numbers, regardless of their size or whether they are positive or negative.

4. Is there a quicker way to find the middle number between two numbers?

Yes, you can simply take the average of the two numbers. This means adding the two numbers together and dividing by 2.

5. Can I use this method for finding the middle number in a set of more than two numbers?

No, this method only works for finding the middle number between two numbers. For finding the middle number in a set of more than two numbers, you can arrange the numbers in ascending or descending order and then find the number in the middle position.