Solving RLC Circuit w/ 3rd Harmonic - Question on Harmonics

• Thread starter Cartman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary: So the expression for the current drawn from the supply would be I = (0.130*20) + (0.130*120) + 84Sin(753t+pi/5) + 72Sin(1255t+pi/4)
Cartman
A serie RLC Circuit consists of 20ohm Resistor, an inductor with an inductance of 130mH and a variable capacitor. The capacitor is set to give resonance to the circuit at the third harmonic. The instantaneous value of the sinusoidal voltage across the circuit is represented by
v(t) = 78 + 120sin251t + 84sin(753t+ pi/5) + 72sin(1255t + pi/4) volts

1.Calculate the iductive reactance at the fundemanetal and 3rd harmonic.
2.Deteremine an expression for the current drawn from the supply
3.Calculate overall power factor of the circuit.

Now I don't get how they can ask to get the 3rd harmonic. DO I take 120sin251t as the Third harmonic? which one do I use?

So far I've gathered that the Fundamental Harmonic would be 120Sin251t and to get its inductive Reactance I would multiply the 251*(0.000130) to het the Reactance of the Inductor for the FIRST Harmonic. What baffles me is that there's a CAPACITOR involved? How would that work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cartman said:
The instantaneous value of the sinusoidal voltage across the circuit is
Are you sure the word "sinusoidal" is used here in the problem statement?

The sin (753t) term would be the third harmonic.

It's a series circuit, so you add the impedances of all 3 elements at the frequency under consideration. Add using phasor addition.

The capacitor is present to form a resonance at the frequency where it cancels the inductor's impedance. At frequencies away from resonance the capacitor just adds some series impedance.

Cartman said:
A serie RLC Circuit consists of 20ohm Resistor, an inductor with an inductance of 130mH and a variable capacitor. The capacitor is set to give resonance to the circuit at the third harmonic.

So far I've gathered that the Fundamental Harmonic would be 120Sin251t and to get its inductive Reactance I would multiply the 251*(0.000130) to het the Reactance of the Inductor for the FIRST Harmonic.
You were given L = 130 mH which is 0.130 Hy.

Related to Solving RLC Circuit w/ 3rd Harmonic - Question on Harmonics

What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit consisting of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used to control the flow of current and voltage in electronic devices.

What is the third harmonic in an RLC circuit?

The third harmonic in an RLC circuit refers to the third multiple of the fundamental frequency of the circuit. It is a type of harmonic distortion that can affect the quality of the signal in the circuit.

How do you solve an RLC circuit with the third harmonic?

To solve an RLC circuit with the third harmonic, you will need to use mathematical equations and techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, complex numbers, and phasors. It is also important to have a good understanding of the properties and behavior of RLC circuits.

Why is the third harmonic important in RLC circuits?

The third harmonic can cause distortion in the output signal of an RLC circuit, which can affect the performance and accuracy of electronic devices. It is important to understand and account for the third harmonic in RLC circuit analysis to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.

What are some practical applications of solving RLC circuits with the third harmonic?

Solving RLC circuits with the third harmonic is important in designing and analyzing electronic devices such as amplifiers, filters, and power supplies. It is also useful in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in electronic circuits.