Solving Rotary Friction Problem at Ye Olde Swinging Door

In summary, a door that is opened at a position 75 degrees from the latch and then moved to a position 60 degrees from the latch slowly closes on its own. There is another possible cause besides a sloping floor, which is rust, dirt, and moisture accumulation on the hinges.
Ben2
Homework Statement: A door opened at 75 degrees from the latch remains at rest. When moved to a position 60 degrees from the latch, it slowly closes on its own. Is there another possible cause besides a sloping floor?
Relevant Equations: \tau = r x F; v = \omega x r; a_T = \alpha x r, where all quantities are vectors.

I'm in a house with repurposed parts. I'd like those with physical intuition to look at a problem involving rotary friction. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue COULD be with the hinges. Have you tried oiling the hinges to see if that makes any difference?

Argh! @phinds preempted me. I had this happen to me until I oiled the hinges.

Likes phinds
Good suggestion! I've often wondered if different radial sections of a hinge could experience different amounts of friction.

There could be any combination of rust, dirt and moisture accumulating unevenly on the hinges.

(thread moved from the Homework forums to the General Discussion forum)

Is the door hung so it will to close from gravity alone? Is this a design feature or just an old house?

kuruman said:
There could be any combination of rust, dirt and moisture accumulating unevenly on the hinges.
..., plus a dollop of shoddy/slipshod construction, and it's anybody's guess....

Houses settle. Unevenly. I once designed a beam so that a friend could remove a load bearing interior wall. When we forced the beam into place, it had the effect of straightening the second floor. Every door on the second floor jammed.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Rive, hutchphd and 1 other person
My house turns 83 this year. Is that an old house? I can't decide ( After all it is only a dozen years older than moi and I never looked better although I do sag a little.......)

Do you want the door to close or to not close?

Ben2 said:
Is there another possible cause besides a sloping floor?
You mean a non-vertical hinge axis? Perhaps one inclined in the plane that is 75 degrees from the latch?

One does hope that the hinges are all colinear. Flexing the door as it goes through its motion would allow a place for potential energy to be deposited.

OP hasn't been seen since several days ago when he posted the question. Seems he doesn't really care.

Likes jbriggs444
I thought I heard something: Sounded like a door hitting someone in the...

:wink:

berkeman said:
I thought I heard something: Sounded like a door hitting someone in the...

:wink:
howling wolf small.jpg

• Haha
Likes berkeman

1. How does rotary friction affect the operation of Ye Olde Swinging Door?

Rotary friction can cause resistance and slow down the movement of the door, making it harder to open and close. This can be especially problematic for heavy or large doors.

2. What are the main causes of rotary friction in swinging doors?

The main causes of rotary friction in swinging doors include misalignment of hinges, worn out or damaged hinges, and lack of lubrication on the hinges and pivot points. In some cases, the weight of the door itself can also contribute to rotary friction.

3. How can rotary friction be reduced or eliminated in Ye Olde Swinging Door?

To reduce or eliminate rotary friction, the hinges and pivot points should be regularly lubricated with a high-quality lubricant. It is also important to ensure that the hinges are properly aligned and in good condition. In some cases, adding a spring or hydraulic closer can also help to reduce friction and ensure smooth operation of the door.

4. Can rotary friction cause damage to Ye Olde Swinging Door?

Yes, if left unaddressed, rotary friction can cause damage to the door and its components over time. It can also put strain on the door frame and surrounding structure, potentially leading to costly repairs.

5. Are there any long-term solutions for preventing rotary friction in Ye Olde Swinging Door?

Regular maintenance and proper lubrication are key for preventing rotary friction in the long term. It is also important to address any underlying issues, such as misaligned hinges or worn out components, to ensure the door operates smoothly and efficiently.