Solving Rotational Dynamics Problems | 20kg Cylinder, 10kg Cylinder

In summary, the person is seeking help with two physics problems involving cylinders on different surfaces. The first problem involves a solid cylinder on a horizontal table with a coefficient of kinetic energy. The second problem involves a rolling cylinder on an inclined plane with a coefficient of static friction. The person also mentions needing to understand the concepts of rolling and rotational dynamics in order to solve the problems. They provide links for further information.
vijay123
dear guys,
i am very depressed since i cannot do these problems...please help me with them..
1)a solid cylinder of mass 20kg and radius 0.12m rotating with initial angular speed of 125ms-2 is placed lightly(ie without any translational push) on a horizontal table with co-efficient of kinectic energy of mu=0.15, between the cylinder and the table.
a)after how long does the cylinder start rolling?
b) what is the intial translational energy, rotational energy and the total energy of cylinder.

2)a cylinder of mass 10kg and radius 15cm is rolling perfectly on a plane of inclination 30degress. the coeffeicient of static friction is mu=0.25.
a)how much is the force of friction acting on the cylinder.

Physics news on Phys.org
ur suppose to have done the work urself otherwise the physics expert in the forum won't help u

oh...ok fine..
here is how it goes...if you see the graph of static and kinetic friction, the line will slowly climb up until it reaches a certain point, known as static friction. so, in order to find the time, in which direction should the frictional torque be held?

i don't know about rolling, does it mean that the accelartaion is zero and the net torique is zero?

Related to Solving Rotational Dynamics Problems | 20kg Cylinder, 10kg Cylinder

What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and forces of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path.

What are the key equations used in solving rotational dynamics problems?

The key equations used in solving rotational dynamics problems are Newton's second law for rotational motion, the moment of inertia, and the angular velocity equation.

How do I approach solving rotational dynamics problems?

The first step in solving rotational dynamics problems is to identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate equations to find the unknown variables. It is also important to draw a diagram and label all forces and distances involved.

What is the difference between a 20kg cylinder and a 10kg cylinder in terms of rotational dynamics?

The main difference between a 20kg cylinder and a 10kg cylinder is their moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The 20kg cylinder will have a larger moment of inertia and therefore require more force to rotate compared to the 10kg cylinder.

How can I check my answer for a rotational dynamics problem?

You can check your answer for a rotational dynamics problem by using the conservation of energy or conservation of angular momentum equations. If your answer is consistent with these principles, then it is likely correct.