Solving Series Convergence Problems: 1+ \frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{5}+...

In summary, a series convergence problem involves determining whether a series has a finite value or not. The general method for solving these problems is to use a convergence test, such as the comparison test or ratio test. The comparison test involves comparing a given series to a known convergent or divergent series, while the ratio test looks at the ratio of consecutive terms to determine convergence or divergence. An alternating series is a series with alternating signs, and its convergence can be determined using the alternating series test.
Lisa91
I have a problem with convergence of two series:

[tex] 1+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{7}-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{11}-\frac{1}{6}+... [/tex]

[tex] 1+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}+\frac{1}{ \sqrt{6}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{8}}+... [/tex]

Could you give me please any hints so that I can solve them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa91 said:

[tex] 1+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{7}-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{11}-\frac{1}{6}+... [/tex]

[tex] 1+ \frac{1}{sqrt{2}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{3}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{4}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{5}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{6}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{7}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{8}}+... [/tex]

The first series is a classical example of the properties of a conditionally convergent series. We start with the well known series... $\displaystyle 1 - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{5} - \frac{1}{6} + \frac{1}{7} -... = \ln 2$ (1)

... from which we derive...

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{6} - \frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{10} - \frac{1}{12} + \frac{1}{14} -... = \frac{\ln 2}{2}$ (2)

... that can be written as...

$\displaystyle 0 + \frac{1}{2} + 0 - \frac{1}{4} + 0 + \frac{1}{6}+ 0 - \frac{1}{8} + 0 + \frac{1}{10}+ 0 - \frac{1}{12} + 0 + \frac{1}{14} +... = \frac{\ln 2}{2}$ (3)

The we cas sum 'term by term' (1) and (3) obtaining...

$\displaystyle 1 - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{7} - \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{9} + \frac{1}{11} - \frac{1}{6} + ... = \frac{3}{2}\ \ln 2$ (4)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

May I write
[tex] 1- \frac{1}{sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{3}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{4}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{5}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{6}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{7}}-... = (\lnn)^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

Lisa91 said:

[tex] 1+ \frac{1}{sqrt{2}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{3}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{4}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{5}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{6}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{7}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{8}}+... [/tex]

The second series can be written in the form...

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n} a_{n}\ ,\ a_{n}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 n + 1}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 n + 2}}$ (1)

Now is $a_{n+1}<a_{n}$ and $\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n}=0$ so that for the Leibnitz's criterion the series converges...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Just a few $\displaystyle LaTeX$ suggestions:

To express the square root of a value, use the code \sqrt{x}, and for the nth root, use \sqrt[n]{x}.

Your natural log function on the right side is rendered incorrectly because there is no space between it and its argument. I suggest the code \ln(n).

Lisa91 said:
May I write
[tex] 1- \frac{1}{sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{3}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{4}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{5}}-\frac{1}{sqrt{6}}+\frac{1}{sqrt{7}}-... = (\lnn)^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

Is...

$\displaystyle 1- \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}-...= (1-\sqrt{2})\ \zeta(\frac{1}{2}) = .6048986434...$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Because is...

$\displaystyle 1- \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}-...= (1-\sqrt{2})\ \zeta(\frac{1}{2})$ (1)

... where $\zeta(*)$ is the Riemann Zeta Function, it is also...

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{8}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{10}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{12}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}-...= \frac{1-\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}\ \zeta(\frac{1}{2})$ (2)

Now remembering the definition of Diriclet Beta Function...

$\displaystyle \beta(s)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2 n + 1)^{s}}$ (3)

... we obtain...

$\displaystyle 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{4}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} - ... = \frac{1-\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}\ \zeta(\frac{1}{2}) + \beta(\frac{1}{2})$ (4)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Solving Series Convergence Problems: 1+ \frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{5}+...

What is a series convergence problem?

A series convergence problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining whether a series, or a sum of infinite terms, has a finite value or not. In other words, it is the process of determining whether a series converges (has a finite value) or diverges (does not have a finite value).

What is the general method for solving series convergence problems?

The general method for solving series convergence problems is to use a convergence test, which is a mathematical test that helps determine whether a series converges or diverges. There are various convergence tests, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test, that can be used to solve different types of series convergence problems.

How do you use the comparison test to solve a series convergence problem?

The comparison test is a method used to determine whether a series converges or diverges by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. To use the comparison test, you first need to find a known series that has a similar form to the given series and whose convergence or divergence is already known. Then, you can compare the two series and make a conclusion about the convergence or divergence of the given series.

What is the ratio test and how is it used to solve series convergence problems?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series based on the ratio of its consecutive terms. To use the ratio test, you take the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test may be needed.

What is an alternating series and how do you determine its convergence?

An alternating series is a series in which the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. To determine the convergence of an alternating series, you can use the alternating series test, which states that if the terms of an alternating series decrease in absolute value and approach 0, the series converges. However, if the terms do not approach 0, the series diverges. This test is particularly useful for alternating series with alternating signs and decreasing terms.