Solving Square Root & Quadratic Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific equation and the possibility of rearranging it to make x the subject. The individual also asks about the solutions to the equation and the behavior of square roots in quadratic equations. However, the conversation ends with the individual apologizing for their inability to express their thoughts clearly and closing the thread.
Einstein's Cat
Let's say there's an equation

0 = √x - √x

I intend to make x the subject of the equation; however because it is a square root, there are numerous solutions; however can I just assume that

0= √x - -√x= 2√x

Can I now just rearrange this equation to make x the subject? In other words is the equation above equivalent to the equation below?

0= -√x -√x = -2√x

Would the same be true if there were roots in a quadratic equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you really expect that a-a=2a in general? Here a=sqrt(x).

What do you know about the solutions to the equation 0=a-a?

If something equals 0, you can flip the sign any way you want.
If x = 0, then -x = 0 as well

mfb said:
Do you really expect that a-a=2a in general? Here a=sqrt(x).

What do you know about the solutions to the equation 0=a-a?

I think that as this applies to any number; the solutions is any number and therefore the equation is undefined.

Einstein's Cat said:
Let's say there's an equation

0 = √x - √x
Do you realize that the right side is equal to zero for any nonnegative real number x?
Einstein's Cat said:
I intend to make x the subject of the equation; however because it is a square root, there are numerous solutions
Not sure what you mean by this. The symbol ##\sqrt{x}## has one value, assuming that ##x \ge 0##.
Einstein's Cat said:
; however can I just assume that

0= √x - -√x= 2√x
?
This is different from the equation you have at the top of your post.
The first equation you show is √x - √x = 0. The equation just above, when simplified is √x + √x = 0. These two equations are not equivalent.
Einstein's Cat said:
Can I now just rearrange this equation to make x the subject? In other words is the equation above equivalent to the equation below?

0= -√x -√x = -2√x

Would the same be true if there were roots in a quadratic equation?
I don't understand what you're asking here.

Mark44 said:
Do you realize that the right side is equal to zero for any nonnegative real number x?
Not sure what you mean by this. The symbol ##\sqrt{x}## has one value, assuming that ##x \ge 0##.
?
This is different from the equation you have at the top of your post.
The first equation you show is √x - √x = 0. The equation just above, when simplified is √x + √x = 0. These two equations are not equivalent.

I don't understand what you're asking here.
I apologise for I am unable to express what I mean; this thread serves no purpose

Einstein's Cat said:
I apologise for I am unable to express what I mean; this thread serves no purpose
Thread closed.

What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 x 5 = 25.

How do you solve a square root equation?

To solve a square root equation, isolate the square root term on one side of the equation and square both sides. Then, solve the resulting equation for the variable.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation that can be written in the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It typically has two solutions.

How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, use the quadratic formula (-b ± √(b²-4ac))/2a or factor the equation and set each factor equal to 0. Then, solve for the variable.

What is the difference between finding the square root and solving a quadratic equation?

Finding the square root of a number involves determining the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. Solving a quadratic equation, on the other hand, involves finding the values of the variable that make the equation true. Square root equations typically involve only one term with a square root, while quadratic equations have multiple terms and often require factoring.