Solving Sum of Integers for Given Constraints

In summary, the person is seeking help with a math problem involving a given positive integer \ell and another positive integer m\leq\ell. They are asking for the values of a list of zero or positive integers that satisfy two simultaneous equations. They also mention Bell's polynomials and the exponential formula.
TriTertButoxy
Hi, I'm doing a physics calculation, and along the way, I've run up against a curious math problem. I'm sure this is a rather classic problem in mathematics, but I'm just not acquainted with the subject enough to answer it, or even look it up, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

For a given positive integer [itex]\ell>0[/itex] and another positive integer [itex]m\leq\ell[/itex], for what values of a list of (zero or positive) integers [itex]\{k_1\geq0,\,k_2\geq0,\,\ldots,\,k_\ell\geq0\}[/itex] satisfies the following simultaneous pair of equations?
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\ell k_n = m[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\ell n k_n = \ell[/tex]

Even the name given to the problem would point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Also, please do not treat me like a student :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I found the answer; The answer has something to do with Bell's polynomials, and exponential formula. Thanks anyway :-)

TriTertButoxy said:
Hi, I'm doing a physics calculation, and along the way, I've run up against a curious math problem. I'm sure this is a rather classic problem in mathematics, but I'm just not acquainted with the subject enough to answer it, or even look it up, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

For a given positive integer [itex]\ell>0[/itex] and another positive integer [itex]m\leq\ell[/itex], for what values of a list of (zero or positive) integers [itex]\{k_1\geq0,\,k_2\geq0,\,\ldots,\,k_\ell\geq0\}[/itex] satisfies the following simultaneous pair of equations?
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\ell k_n = m[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\ell n k_n = \ell[/tex]

Even the name given to the problem would point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Also, please do not treat me like a student :-)
For the sum to add up to no more than [itex]\ell[/itex] there would have to be a lot of k's equal to zero since for larger integers the sum would easily exceed [itex]\ell[/itex]. To find a solution, I would suggest that assume all but one k were zero and that m divides [itex]\ell[/itex]. P.S. this doesn't look like a classic problem.

Related to Solving Sum of Integers for Given Constraints

1. What is the purpose of solving sum of integers for given constraints?

The purpose of solving sum of integers for given constraints is to find the solution to a mathematical problem where the sum of a set of integers must meet certain conditions or limitations. This can be useful in a variety of fields, such as computer science, economics, and statistics.

2. How do you determine the constraints for solving sum of integers?

The constraints for solving sum of integers are typically given in the problem statement and can vary depending on the specific situation. Some common constraints include a specific sum value, a maximum or minimum value for each integer, or a certain number of integers to be included in the sum.

3. What are some common methods for solving sum of integers for given constraints?

There are several approaches to solving sum of integers for given constraints, including brute force methods, dynamic programming, and using mathematical formulas. The most suitable method will depend on the specific constraints and the complexity of the problem.

4. How do you know if a solution to the sum of integers problem is valid?

A solution to the sum of integers problem is considered valid if it meets all the given constraints. This means that the sum of the chosen integers must equal the specified sum value and all individual integers must fall within the specified limitations.

5. Can solving sum of integers for given constraints be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, solving sum of integers for given constraints can be applied to many real-world problems. For example, it can be used to optimize resource allocation in budgeting, determine the most efficient route for delivery services, or find the best combination of ingredients in a recipe. It can also be applied in various mathematical and scientific research studies.