Solving System of Equations: Understanding the Analytical Reasons

In summary: That result depends on the result of ##t=g(x)##.In summary, the given parametric system can be rewritten as ##y=v(g(x))##, where ##g## is the inverse function of the function ##u## used to represent ##x## as a function of ##t##. The sought ##f(x,y)## function can then be expressed as ##(1/8)(x+3)^2 - 2(x+3)+2-y = 0##.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A point ##P## describes, in a xy plane, the geometric place identified by this parametric system
$$\left\{\begin{matrix}
x=2t-3\\
y=\frac{1}{2}t^2-4t+2
\end{matrix}\right.$$
determine the cartesian equation ##f(x,y)=0## of the geometric place
Relevant Equations
none
Hi guys, I managed to solve this problem just by "rewriting" the first equation of the system as ##t=f(x)## and then substituting that in the second ##y=f(t)## equation, ending(of course) up with the sought ##f(x,y)## function.

The problem here is I didn't really understand what I have done and why, nor the analytical reasons for that, and I'd appreciate it if you could give me the grounding I'm missing on this type of problem :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship between x and t is 1-1, so either variable can be used as a parameter for y. You changed the parameter of y from t to x. That put the line in the x,y plane and removed the t parameter. That left you with the equation, ##(1/8)(x+3)^2 - 2(x+3)+2-y = 0## as the problem requested.

Likes greg_rack
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: A point ##P## describes, in a xy plane, the geometric place identified by this parametric system
$$\left\{\begin{matrix}
x=2t-3\\
y=\frac{1}{2}t^2-4t+2
\end{matrix}\right.$$
determine the cartesian equation ##f(x,y)=0## of the geometric place
Relevant Equations:: none
Hi guys, I managed to solve this problem just by "rewriting" the first equation of the system as ##t=f(x)## and then substituting that in the second ##y=f(t)## equation, ending(of course) up with the sought ##f(x,y)## function.

The problem here is I didn't really understand what I have done and why, nor the analytical reasons for that, and I'd appreciate it if you could give me the grounding I'm missing on this type of problem :)
@FactChecker gave you a good explanation.

In addition to that, it should be mentioned that it's bad practice to use the same symbol, in this case, ##f##, for three different functions.

You were given ##x## as a function of ##t##. You could say, ##x=u(t)##. Then as @FactChecker points out, you can solve that for ##t##, because ##u## is a 1 to 1 function. This gives ##t=g(x)##. Note that ##g## is the inverse function of function ##u##.

Similarly, you were also given ##y## as a function of ##t##. You could say ##y=v(t)##.

One way of combining those gives ##y=v(g(x))##.

Post #2 shows a possible result for ##f(x,y)##.

Likes greg_rack and FactChecker

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain multiple variables. The goal of solving a system of equations is to find the values of the variables that make all of the equations true.

2. Why is it important to understand the analytical reasons for solving a system of equations?

Understanding the analytical reasons for solving a system of equations allows us to use mathematical reasoning and logic to find the solutions. This helps us to not only solve the equations accurately, but also to understand the underlying concepts and principles involved.

3. What are the different methods for solving a system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of equations.

4. How do I know if a system of equations has a solution?

A system of equations has a solution if the equations intersect at a point, meaning that the values of the variables satisfy all of the equations simultaneously. If the equations do not intersect, the system has no solution. If the equations overlap, the system has infinite solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving systems of equations?

Solving systems of equations is used in many fields, such as engineering, economics, and physics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as determining the optimal production levels for a company or finding the intersection point of two moving objects.