Solving System of PDEs: Analytical Methods & Solutions

• A
  • Thread starter satu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdes
In summary, the system of PDEs looks like what one gets for marginal stability (\partial_t = 0) of small disturbances to the static solution of the equations for incompressible Rayleigh-Benard convection in two dimensions, with \psi being the streamfunction and \theta the departure of the (scaled) temperature from the static solution; R_0 is then the Rayleigh number.
satu
TL;DR Summary
Methods to find solutions of system of PDEs
HI
HI! While trying to solve problem in Hydrodynamic stability I have got a system of Two Partial Diffential equations :

1690214147451.png

Can anyone help me to solve this analytically? Is there any general method to solve system of PDEs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify your notation? E.g., does ##\theta_{1x},\psi_{1x}## mean ##\partial\theta_{1}/\partial x,\partial\psi_{1}/\partial x##?

nothing about boundary conditions
nothing about the domain
nothing about functional spaces
nothing to speak about

satu said:
Is there any general method to solve system of PDEs?
no general methods to solve everything

renormalize said:
Can you clarify your notation? E.g., does ##\theta_{1x},\psi_{1x}## mean ##\partial\theta_{1}/\partial x,\partial\psi_{1}/\partial x##?
Yup. You may consider ## \psi ## inplace of ##\psi_1## and ## \theta ## in place of ##\theta_{1}##

wrobel said:
nothing about boundary conditions
nothing about the domain
nothing about functional spaces
nothing to speak aboutno general methods to solve everything
B.C's : ## \psi_{1} = \theta_{1} = 0 ## at both ## y=0## and ##y=1##.
##\nabla^2 = \partial^2/\partial x^2 + \partial^2/\partial y^2 ##
Both ##\psi_{1} ## and ##\theta_{1}## are functions of x and y.

satu said:
B.C's : ## \psi_{1} = \theta_{1} = 0 ## at both ## y=0## and ##y=1##.
this does not make sense: your solutions are defined up to ##+c_1 +c_2y##

Last edited:
satu said:
TL;DR Summary: Methods to find solutions of system of PDEs

HI
HI! While trying to solve problem in Hydrodynamic stability I have got a system of Two Partial Diffential equations :

View attachment 329594
Can anyone help me to solve this analytically? Is there any general method to solve system of PDEs?

This is a linearised stability problem, so you are looking for normal modes. Your assumption, in view of the boundary conditions, is that [tex]
(\theta, \psi) = (\Theta e^{k_nx}\sin( n\pi y), \Psi e^{k_nx}\sin (n \pi y))[/tex] for constant [itex](\Theta, \Psi)[/itex] and positive integer [itex]n[/itex]. If [itex]k_n[/itex] has strictly positive real part, then the disturbance will grow as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex]. If [itex]k_n[/itex] has strictly negative real part, the disturbance will instead grow as [itex]x \to -\infty[/itex].

Subsituting these into the PDEs will give you a linear system of the form [tex]
M(k_n)\begin{pmatrix} \Theta \\ \Psi \end{pmatrix} = 0[/tex] for some matrix [itex]M(k_n)[/itex]. For this to have non-zero solutions, [itex]k[/itex] must satisfy [tex]\det M(k_n) = 0.[/tex] (This is a generlized eigenvalue problem with [itex](\Theta, \Psi)[/itex] being an eigenvector corresponding to the generalized eigenvalue [itex]k_n[/itex].)

The general solution, if desired, can then be obtained as a linear combination of normal modes, but for the linear stability analysis we only need the sign of the real part of [itex]k_n[/itex].

Last edited:
anyway
pasmith said:
linear stability analysis we only need the sign of the real part of [itex]k_n[/itex].
What definition of stability do you mean? As for me I heard about stability in evolution systems only. I do not see any evolution here and I do not see any uniqueness. I actually suspect that the boundary conditions still have not been formulated correctly but maybe x is such a new notation for time. Who knows.

wrobel said:
I actually suspect that the boundary conditions still have not been formulated correctly but maybe x is such a new notation for time. Who knows.
Indeed, it's unlikely that ##x## is supposed to be time since the OP states that ##\nabla^2 = \partial^2/\partial x^2 + \partial^2/\partial y^2##, which is the 2D Laplacian, not the 2D wave-operator.

wrobel said:
anyway

What definition of stability do you mean? As for me I heard about stability in evolution systems only. I do not see any evolution here and I do not see any uniqueness. I actually suspect that the boundary conditions still have not been formulated correctly but maybe x is such a new notation for time. Who knows.

The OP did state "While trying to solve problem in Hydrodynamic stability ...". However, since the OP hasn't told us which problem they are trying to solve or how they derived this system, we can but speculate.

I did misinterpret the situation in my earlier post.

The system of PDEs looks like what one gets for marginal stability [itex](\partial_t = 0)[/itex] of small disturbances to the static solution of the equations for incompressible Rayleigh-Benard convection in two dimensions, with [itex]\psi[/itex] being the streamfunction and [itex]\theta[/itex] the departure of the (scaled) temperature from the static solution; [itex]R_0[/itex] is then the Rayleigh number.

The correct approach is to first set [itex](\theta, \psi) = (\Theta(y), \Psi(y))e^{ikx}[/itex] to obtain a system of ODEs for the dependence on [itex]y[/itex]; we are looking for the wavenumber [itex]k[/itex] at which the static solution first becomes unstable - hence the assumption of marginal stability.

We are missing some boundary conditions - we need either [itex]\psi_y = 0[/itex] (no-slip) or [itex]\psi_{yy} = 0[/itex] (stress-free) at each boundary.

1. What are the different types of analytical methods used to solve systems of PDEs?

The most commonly used analytical methods for solving systems of PDEs are separation of variables, method of characteristics, and Laplace transform. These methods involve breaking down the PDE into simpler equations and solving them sequentially.

2. How do you determine the boundary and initial conditions for a system of PDEs?

Boundary conditions are specified at the boundaries of the domain in which the PDE is being solved. These conditions can be given in terms of the dependent variables or their derivatives. Initial conditions are specified at a particular starting point in time and are used to solve the PDE forward in time.

3. Can all systems of PDEs be solved analytically?

No, not all systems of PDEs have analytical solutions. Some systems may be too complex to be solved using traditional analytical methods and may require numerical methods to find approximate solutions.

4. How do you know if the solution to a system of PDEs is valid?

A valid solution to a system of PDEs must satisfy all of the boundary and initial conditions, as well as the PDE itself. It should also be physically meaningful and make sense in the context of the problem being solved.

5. What are the advantages of using analytical methods to solve systems of PDEs?

Analytical methods provide exact solutions to systems of PDEs, which can be useful in understanding the behavior of the system and making predictions. They also allow for the identification of important parameters and relationships within the system.