Solving Tension in Wires for Fixed Plate

In summary, the problem involves a plate fixed to the ceiling by two wires and to the wall by a single wire. The wall wire is cut and the task is to calculate the tension in the remaining two wires. Using equations and given information, the horizontal and vertical accelerations of the plate can be calculated. The tensions in the vertical wires are a combination of static and dynamic forces acting on the plate, and the plate's center of gravity is used to calculate the dynamic forces. The individual wire tensions are found to be 1826N and 5102N, but there is confusion about the sign of the vertical acceleration, which is ultimately negative.
Alex.malh

Homework Statement

A plate is fixed to the ceiling by two wires and to the wall by a single wire.
The wall wire is cut. Calculate the tension in the two remaining wires.

mass = 800 kg
g = 10m/s²
Dimensions in sketch

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Equations:
Ra*cos30 + Rb*cos30 = m*g + m*av
Ra*sin30 + Rb*sin30 = -m*ah
ah*sin30/cos30 = av

Solve to:
(Ra+Rb)=6928N
ah=-4.33m/s²
av=-2.5m/s²

But now I'm having troubles getting the individual wire tensions.
Any help is welcome.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Problem 2.PNG
    Problem 2.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the force of gravity acting on this plate, and you have calculated the horizontal and vertical accelerations the plate experiences when the horizontal string is cut.

The tensions in the vertical wires will be a combination of the static and dynamic forces acting on the plate. You can assume these forces act thru the center of gravity of the plate, the location of which is indicated in the sketch.

To calculate the dynamic forces: (Hint: F = ma)

Likes Alex.malh
I'll offer a different hint: will the plate rotate?

Likes Alex.malh
Thanks for the quick reply!
so i solved it to:
Ra= 1826N
Rb= 5102N

What i still don't get though is why av is negative?
I would expect the plate to have a downward acceleration with the same sign as gravity acc.
But now i solved it by having an upward acceleration.

1. What is the purpose of solving tension in wires for a fixed plate?

The purpose of solving tension in wires for a fixed plate is to ensure that the wires are able to support the weight or load placed on the plate without breaking or causing damage. It is important for maintaining structural integrity and preventing accidents or failures.

2. How do you determine the required tension for the wires in a fixed plate?

The required tension for the wires in a fixed plate can be determined by considering the weight or load of the plate, the material and strength of the wires, and the angle at which the wires are attached to the plate. This can be calculated using mathematical equations or through experimentation.

3. What are the factors that can affect the tension in wires for a fixed plate?

There are several factors that can affect the tension in wires for a fixed plate, including the weight or load placed on the plate, the material and strength of the wires, the angle at which the wires are attached, and external forces such as wind or vibrations. Temperature changes and wear and tear of the wires over time can also impact the tension.

4. What are some techniques for solving tension in wires for a fixed plate?

Some common techniques for solving tension in wires for a fixed plate include using mathematical equations, conducting physical experiments, and utilizing computer simulations. Other techniques may involve adjusting the angle or length of the wires, changing the material of the wires, or adding additional support structures.

5. How important is it to regularly check and maintain the tension in wires for a fixed plate?

Regularly checking and maintaining the tension in wires for a fixed plate is crucial for ensuring the stability and safety of the structure. Over time, factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and external forces can cause the tension to change. It is important to monitor and adjust the tension if necessary to prevent potential accidents or failures.