Binomial distribution problem

In summary: The probability that three of the eight children are girls is:p=\binom{8}{3}(1-\binom{8}{3})(1-\binom{8}{3})=\binom{64}{3}
thegreengineer
Thread moved from a different forums, so no HH Template is shown
Right now I'm having a problem with a statistics problem. More specifically with a binomial distribution problem.

The problem says:
There is a family composed by 8 children. Calculate the probability that 3 of them are girls

As far as I know, binomial distribution formula says:
[itex]p(x=k)=\binom{n}{k}(p)^{k}(1-p)^{n-k}[/itex]

In which:
*n is the number of trials
*k is the number of success
*p is the probability of success
*(1-p) is the probability of failure, sometimes denoted as q in some textbooks

I know two things, since we are talking about eight children then n=8. The number of success is k=3, therefore the number of failures must be n-k= 5. At this point I feel I'm going well. However the problem begins that problem isn't giving me the probability of success (p). I first tried to calculate it by knowing that if 8 children means 100% of all the trials then 3 girls means 37.5% (I found this by rule of three); yet I'm not completely sure if that's the right way of finding the probability of success p when problem isn't giving it to us.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcusAu314 said:
Right now I'm having a problem with a statistics problem. More specifically with a binomial distribution problem.

The problem says:
There is a family composed by 8 children. Calculate the probability that 3 of them are girls

As far as I know, binomial distribution formula says:
[itex]p(x=k)=\binom{n}{k}(p)^{k}(1-p)^{n-k}[/itex]

In which:
*n is the number of trials
*k is the number of success
*p is the probability of success
*(1-p) is the probability of failure, sometimes denoted as q in some textbooks

I know two things, since we are talking about eight children then n=8. The number of success is k=3, therefore the number of failures must be n-k= 5. At this point I feel I'm going well. However the problem begins that problem isn't giving me the probability of success (p). I first tried to calculate it by knowing that if 8 children means 100% of all the trials then 3 girls means 37.5% (I found this by rule of three); yet I'm not completely sure if that's the right way of finding the probability of success p when problem isn't giving it to us.

Thanks.

I think they want you to assume that boy and girl babies are equally likely, so that ##p = q = 1/2##. In reality that is not quite true; if you want, you can look up the boy/girl birth rates in a database, and use that instead. However, assuming ##p = q = 1/2## in such problems is pretty standard in an introductory course.

Last edited:
MarcusAu314 said:
Exactly three in total, at least three in total, or a specific three? Ok, I agree they probably mean exactly three in total.

1. What is a binomial distribution problem?

A binomial distribution problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes (success or failure) and the probability of success remains constant for each trial.

2. How do you calculate the probability in a binomial distribution problem?

The probability in a binomial distribution problem can be calculated using the formula P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success for each trial.

3. What is the difference between a binomial distribution and a normal distribution?

A binomial distribution is a discrete distribution that describes the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, while a normal distribution is a continuous distribution that describes the probability of a range of values occurring in a dataset.

4. What real-life situations can be modeled using a binomial distribution?

A binomial distribution can be used to model real-life situations such as flipping a coin, rolling a die, or conducting a survey with yes or no questions. It can also be used in fields such as genetics, medicine, and finance.

5. How can I use the binomial distribution to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using the binomial distribution, first identify the number of trials, the probability of success, and the desired number of successes. Then, use the binomial distribution formula to calculate the probability or use a binomial calculator to simplify the process. It is also important to check if the binomial distribution assumptions are met before using it to solve a problem.