Solving the Car Parking Lights Puzzle: Current, Resistance & Time Calculations

In summary, the four bulbs of a car's parking lights are labelled 3,6 W / 12 V. The current from the battery when only the parking lights are switched on is 1.2 A. The time it takes before the battery becomes dead is 41.7 hours.
stephenranger

Homework Statement

A total charge of 50 Ah is stored in a 12 V battery of a car. Each
of the bulbs of the four parking lights is labelled 3,6 W / 12 V.

Homework Equations

a) Find the current from the battery when only the parking lights are switched on.
b) What is the resistance of one bulb?
c) How long does it take before the battery becomes dead if the parking lights are on?
Assume that the internal resistance of the battery and the resistances of the connecting wires
are negligible.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all. The given data does not clarify what type of circuit that the bulbs are wired, so I assume that they are wired in parallel.[/B]

(sorry I don't know how to use Tex codes. I just tried some but some work, some don't. So I'm not going to use texcode).

P=VI and I = V/R ======> P= V2/R =====> R = V2/P = 122/ 3,6 =40 (Ω)

Four bulbs are connected in parallel, so: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1+1/R2+1/R3+1/R4=4/R=4/40=10 (Ω)

the current from the battery when only the parking lights are switched on: I = V/Rtotal = 12/10=1.2 (A)

Time it takes before the battery becomes dead: t = 50/1.2 = 41.666666...~41.2 hours.

I wonder if my solution is correct ?

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-7_12-23-39.png
    upload_2015-1-7_12-23-39.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
The approach looks good. The math looks good. Have you any specific doubts?

My doubt is whether or not my solution is correct. Otherwise, the given data doesn't say that the 4 bulbs are connected in parallel, so is there any some solution else that does not use formula for R both in series and parallel circuit ? you know what I mean

Parallel is a safe assumption for automotive applications. One filament failure doesn't turn off every light on the vehicle.

Yes. But what if the problem solver doesn't know that lights in car are wired in parallel. That means that he must come up with a solution that does not apply formulas in both series and parallel circuits. And that is what I'm trying to find. Could you give me a solution that doesn't apply formulas in series and parallel circuits ?

stephenranger said:
Could you give me a solution that doesn't apply formulas in series and parallel circuits ?
If you have more than one component in the circuit you're analyzing, you've got to make a choice, or start generating solutions for every possible configuration of series and parallel arrangements of components, and leaving the choice among possible solutions to the end user.

i.e., there is no solution for an undefined problem.

There was somebody solved like this:
Ptotal = Px4 = 3.6x4 = 14.4 watt
I = Ptotal/V = 14.4/12 = 1.20 A
R = V2/P = 144/3.6 = 40.0 ohm
t = 50/1.2 = 41,7 hours.

He didn't use the formulas in both series and parallel circuits. Could you tell me what's different between his solution and mine ?

stephenranger said:
Ptotal = Px4 = 3.6x4 = 14.4 watt
This is an assumption of parallel circuits.

Oh thank you.
If we have series circuit. What is formula for P ?

stephenranger said:
If we have series circuit. What is formula for P ?
What is R in the series circuit?

Oh. Ok Thanks. I'm going to do it myself.

1. How do current, resistance, and time affect the car parking lights puzzle?

Current, resistance, and time are all important factors in solving the car parking lights puzzle. Current refers to the flow of electricity through a circuit, resistance is the opposition to this flow, and time is the duration of the flow. In the puzzle, these factors must be carefully calculated in order to determine the correct configuration of the lights.

2. What is the formula for calculating current in the car parking lights puzzle?

The formula for calculating current is I = V/R, where I represents current, V represents voltage, and R represents resistance. In the car parking lights puzzle, the voltage and resistance can be determined from the given information, allowing you to solve for the current.

3. How do I calculate the resistance in the car parking lights puzzle?

To calculate resistance, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R represents resistance, V represents voltage, and I represents current. In the puzzle, the voltage and current can be determined from the given information, allowing you to solve for the resistance.

4. What is the relationship between resistance and time in the car parking lights puzzle?

The relationship between resistance and time is inverse in the car parking lights puzzle. This means that as resistance increases, time decreases, and vice versa. This is because higher resistance requires more time for the same amount of current to flow through the circuit. Therefore, in the puzzle, you must consider both factors when determining the correct configuration of the lights.

5. How can I use Ohm's Law to solve the car parking lights puzzle?

Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance (V=IR), can be used to solve the car parking lights puzzle. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for any of the three variables (voltage, current, or resistance) as needed. This formula allows you to accurately calculate the necessary values to solve the puzzle and determine the correct configuration of the lights.