Solving the EM field equations to produce the desired vector field

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the two vector fields F and G in terms of the given magnetic vector potential A, using the Lorenz gauge condition. It is suggested to use the fundamental theorem of vector calculus and Poisson's equation to solve for the auxiliary fields F' and G', which can then be used to find the solutions for the original fields F and G. It is also mentioned that there may be an analytical solution in terms of an integral, but numerical methods may be needed for a general solution. The importance of boundary conditions is also emphasized.
greswd
TL;DR Summary
I have a set of equations which represent conditions that the desired solution vector field has to meet.
So, we have A, the magnetic vector potential, and its divergence is the Lorenz gauge condition.

I want to solve for the two vector fields of F and G, and I'm wondering how I should begin##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F}=-\nabla \cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\mathbf{A} =-\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left ( \nabla \cdot \mathbf{A} \right )##

##\nabla \times \mathbf{F} = 0##

##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{G} = 0##

##\nabla \times \mathbf{G} = \nabla \times\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\mathbf{A} =\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left ( \nabla \times \mathbf{A} \right )##Also, solving for one of them, solving either F or G, is good enough :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably numerically. And I noticed you never used the words "boundary conditions". They are important.

Vanadium 50 said:
Probably numerically. And I noticed you never used the words "boundary conditions". They are important.

ahh yeah, for EM I guess it'd have to drop to zero at infinity

so you think an analytical solution might be out of reach?

For an arbitrary potential? For every single potential? Probably not.

Vanadium 50 said:
does this mean like every single potential which is Lorenz gauged

Ok I guess ##\mathbf{A}## is given and is known and you want to find ##\mathbf{F}## or ##\mathbf{G}## in terms of ##\mathbf{A}##.

Have you heard of the fundamental theorem of vector calculus, also known as Helmholtz theorem?

If not, then use the substitution $$\mathbf{F}=\nabla F' (1)$$ then equation##\nabla\times\mathbf{F}=0## is automatically satisfied (because the curl of the gradient is zero) and the second equation will lead you to Poisson's equation which you probably know how to solve.

Similarly for G, use the substitution $$\mathbf{G}=\nabla\times\mathbf{G'} (2)$$ and then the condition ##\nabla\cdot G=0## is satisfied (because the divergence of a curl is always zero) and the second equation will lead you to 3 Poisson's equations, one for each component of ##\mathbf{G'}##. You will also need the condition that ##\nabla\cdot\mathbf{G'}=0## and the identity ##\nabla\times(\nabla\times \mathbf{G'})=\nabla^2\mathbf{G'}-\nabla(\nabla\cdot\mathbf{G'})##

I am almost confident that you know the general solution to Poisson's equation (with the boundary condition that the field/potential is zero at infinity).

Once you find the scalar field ##F'## and the vector field ##\mathbf{G'}## as solutions to Poisson's, use (1) and (2) to compute ##\mathbf{F}## and ##\mathbf{G}##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Einstein44
Vanadium 50 said:
There is analytical solution in terms of an integral of the divergence or curl of A, but yes if A is really given and want to perform the integration you might need numerical methods.

Delta2 said:
There is analytical solution in terms of an integral of the divergence or curl of A, but yes if A is really given and want to perform the integration you might need numerical methods.

oh nice, i would like a general solution

greswd said:
oh nice, i would like a general solution
Did you read my post #6? That is to define the auxiliary fields ##F',\mathbf{G'}## and solve for those first as solutions to Poisson's equation...

Related to Solving the EM field equations to produce the desired vector field

1. What are the EM field equations?

The EM field equations, also known as Maxwell's equations, are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to understanding electromagnetism.

2. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes a vector quantity, such as force or velocity, at every point in space. In the context of EM field equations, a vector field represents the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields at each point in space.

3. How do you solve the EM field equations?

The EM field equations can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as differential equations and vector calculus. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired outcome. In some cases, computer simulations may also be used to solve the equations.

4. What is the purpose of solving the EM field equations to produce a desired vector field?

The purpose of solving the EM field equations is to understand and manipulate the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By producing a desired vector field, scientists and engineers can control the movement and interaction of charged particles, which has many practical applications in technology and research.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving the EM field equations?

Solving the EM field equations has many practical applications, including the design of electronic devices, wireless communication systems, and medical imaging technologies. It is also essential for understanding natural phenomena such as lightning, electromagnetic radiation, and the behavior of celestial bodies in space.