Solving the ideal gas law for volume -> length

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the ideal gas law for volume in a specific scenario. The solution involves using the ideal gas law and calculating the volume per molecule to determine the length of a side of a cube. The final answer is 3.44 x 10^-9 m.
jaded18
[SOLVED] solving the ideal gas law for volume --> length

Consider an ideal gas at 27.0 degrees Celsius and 1.00 atmosphere pressure. Imagine the molecules to be uniformly spaced, with each molecule at the center of a small cube.

What is the length L of an edge of each small cube if adjacent cubes touch but don't overlap?

I know that the ideal gas law states V=nRT/p and that in this case R=8.2057(10^-5) m^3 (atm/mol*K), p=1atm, T=27+273K. What is n? Well if I calculate the volume of one mole of the gas, I get V=2.46(10^-2) m^3. And then when I use this result to find the volume of one molecule (the volume of the imaginary cube that is assumed to surround each molecule, I get V=( 1/(6.02*10^23))(8.2057)(27+273)= 4.09*10^-26 m^3

Then don't I just use this volume per molecule that I just calculated to find the length of a side of the cube by taking the cube root of it?! Why isn't the answer 0.000000003m?!

No one at the physics forum could help, so if you know how to do this prob correctly, any feedback will be awesome

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've done it properly. You get 3.44 x 10^-9 m. That's the right magnitude anyway. Maybe ask your teacher?

Yes, you are correct in using the ideal gas law to solve for volume and then using that to calculate the volume per molecule. However, the volume of one mole of gas that you calculated is not accurate. It should be V= 0.0246 m^3, not 2.46(10^-2) m^3. This is because the value of R in the ideal gas law is in units of m^3 (atm/mol*K), not cm^3 (atm/mol*K).

Using the correct value of V=0.0246 m^3, the volume per molecule would be V=4.09*10^-29 m^3. Then, taking the cube root of this value would give you the length of one side of the cube as 3.8*10^-10 m. This is a very small value, as expected for the size of gas molecules.

It is important to pay attention to units when using equations and to always double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. I hope this helps and clarifies the solution for you.

Related to Solving the ideal gas law for volume -> length

1. How do you solve the ideal gas law for volume to length?

To solve the ideal gas law for volume to length, you will need to rearrange the equation to isolate the variable you are solving for. In this case, you will need to rearrange the equation to solve for length. The resulting equation will be L = V/(nRT/P).

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What is the purpose of solving the ideal gas law for volume to length?

Solving the ideal gas law for volume to length allows us to calculate the length of a gas at a given pressure, temperature, and number of moles. This can be helpful in various scientific and engineering applications, such as determining the volume of a gas in a container or the length of a gas in a pipe.

4. What units should be used when solving the ideal gas law for volume to length?

The units used for pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles in the ideal gas law equation should be consistent. Common units for pressure include atmospheres (atm) or Pascals (Pa), for volume include liters (L) or cubic meters (m3), for temperature include Kelvin (K) or degrees Celsius (°C), and for number of moles include moles (mol) or particles (atoms/molecules).

5. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a hypothetical gas that follows the ideal gas law equation at all temperatures and pressures. It is characterized by having particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures.