Solving the Micromass Big Integral Challenge - Issues with Latex Rendering?

In summary, Firefox on an older computer takes a long time to load a thread. This may be related to the fact that the equations are not cached, and that other sites on the internet are also causing problems for Firefox.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Great thread!:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/micromass-big-integral-challenge.867904/#post-5450007

I have a 16GB i7 windows 7 box with Firefox v45.0.2. I have NO add-ons to Firefox.

Every time I open the one thread, it takes longer and longer - literally a minute the last time.
No other threads do that from PF or elsewhere. While freezing the PF window, everything else on the box is happy, the window simply becomes unresponsive for 60 seconds or longer.

Me, PF, or should I blame my dog? I'm guessing there is some sort of issue with Latex rendering. Dunno.

Physics news on Phys.org
Threads with a lot of latex struggle. Always have. There is a lot of processing going on in the background client side. I've sent the thread to the mathjax developer to see if there is anything we can do config wise.

I must say LaTeX rendering has seemed slower on my phone since the last Firefox update - I'd been thinking of starting a thread about it. Haven't seen it on my desktop though.

Hmm - we are doing what we can. In terms of the phone, those generally are pretty resource limited compared with most desktops. Yes?

Yes - but I don't remember it struggling so much until the last Firefox update. Could be bad luck with the threads I've been viewing of course. I've not done any formal testing.

The developer said nothing can be done at this point. I would suggest looking into Opera as the newest versions have tested even better than Chrome for javascript processing.

jim mcnamara said:
Every time I open the one thread, it takes longer and longer - literally a minute the last time.
I just looked at that thread using Firefox 45.0.2 on this 6-year-old iMac with an i3 processor and 4GB RAM. It takes maybe 3 seconds at most, for a page to render.

It does bog down seriously in Safari on my iPhone 5s. I have to wait a while before I can scroll the first page smoothly.

Last edited:
Well, I just tried that thread and it took 44 seconds to completely load. Used IE 11, Chrome, and Firefox. Times varied somewhat.

But - the (very good idea of) positioning cursors in the thread at what PF thinks is the last place you read is wherein lies the problem for me.
It takes about 8 seconds to get a rendering of post #nn. If I want to move up or down, at that point, forget it. That is what I meant by "completely".
If I attempt an up arrow or down arrow or whatever positioning I try, it hangs.
I would guess that is what @jtbell saw.

Is there some browser cache setting I can enable? my PC C: drive is a Crucial SSD and I/O is very good.

jim mcnamara said:
Is there some browser cache setting I can enable? my PC C: drive is a Crucial SSD and I/O is very good.
The equations are loaded on the fly and not cached. They are not images but css formated text.

Tinked with some settings got the completed intial load time down by about 50% - Firefox 45.0.2 does in fact have caching for css rendering.
So, if I bump the cache somewhat, restart Firefox, then the page loads faster.

And this is not the only issue with Firefox, not related to PF. Sites like CNN and Christian Science Monitor spam a bunch of crud onto the main page so that you cannot see what's underneath and you have to wait until the extraneous junk loads to be able to dismiss it. With Chrome I can dismiss the overlaid junk early. So maybe I do need another browser like Opera.

Thanks for you help.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. How do you solve the Micromass Big Integral Challenge?

The Micromass Big Integral Challenge can be solved by breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts, using known integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is also helpful to familiarize oneself with the properties of integrals and practice using them to solve similar problems.

2. Why are there issues with LaTeX rendering in the Micromass Big Integral Challenge?

The Micromass Big Integral Challenge may involve complex equations and symbols that are not easily represented in regular text. LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used in scientific and mathematical fields to accurately display these equations. However, there may be issues with rendering due to errors in coding or compatibility issues with the software being used.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when solving the Micromass Big Integral Challenge?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for all variables and constants in the integral. Another mistake is making errors in algebraic manipulation or substitution, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to be careful with signs and use the correct integration technique for each part of the integral.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving the Micromass Big Integral Challenge?

Practice and familiarity with integration techniques and properties of integrals is key to improving one's skills in solving the Micromass Big Integral Challenge. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement one's knowledge and understanding.

5. Are there any tips for efficiently solving the Micromass Big Integral Challenge?

Breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using known integration techniques can help save time and make the problem more manageable. It is also important to carefully check for errors and simplify the final solution as much as possible. Additionally, seeking assistance from tutors or peers can provide helpful insights and strategies for solving the challenge efficiently.