Solving the Mystery of Negative Square Roots

In summary, the conversation discussed the evaluation of the square root of a square of a negative number, specifically \sqrt{-1}^{2}. It was pointed out that the notation used was ambiguous, but based on the verbal explanation, the problem simplified to \sqrt{(-1)^2}, which evaluates to 1. It was also mentioned that the rule (a^{b})^{c} = a^{bc} cannot be applied for a<0, and the reason behind it. The conversation ended with a grateful thank you from the original poster.
ViolentCorpse
Hello everyone,

What is the square root of a square of a negative number equal to? For example: [itex]\sqrt{-1}^{2}[/itex]

It seems there are two possible ways of doing this, the problem is that I am getting two different answers using these two approaches i.e; We can first take the square of -1 and then take square root of the square of -1. This gives 1 as the answer. On the other hand, if we replace the radical sign by 1/2 as the exponent, we should then just be left with -1 as the answer. The correct answer, I think, is +1, but I can't figure out why there's an apparent contradiction...

Please help me understand where and why I am wrong.

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ViolentCorpse said:
Hello everyone,

What is the square root of a square of a negative number equal to? For example: [itex]\sqrt{-1}^{2}[/itex]

As written, most mathematicians would (probably*) parse that as ##(\sqrt{-1})^2##. The square root evaluates to either i or -i depending on where your branch cut is, but they both square to -1.

*: It's ambiguous though.

but I can't figure out why there's an apparent contradiction...

With complex numbers your assumptions of exponentiation derived from the reals breaks down. In this case you are assuming ##(a^{b})^c = (a^c)^b##, and this is simply not true. Further ##(a^b)^c \neq a^{bc}## in general.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I find your notation unclear.
Do you mean: [itex]a: \sqrt{(-1)^{2}} b: (\sqrt{-1})^{2}[/itex]

ViolentCorpse said:
Hello everyone,

It seems there are two possible ways of doing this, the problem is that I am getting two different answers using these two approaches i.e; We can first take the square of -1 and then take square root of the square of -1. This gives 1 as the answer. On the other hand, if we replace the radical sign by 1/2 as the exponent, we should then just be left with -1 as the answer. The correct answer, I think, is +1, but I can't figure out why there's an apparent contradiction...

Please help me understand where and why I am wrong.

Thank you!

Your notation is ambiguous, as others pointed out, but your verbal explanation of the problem is clear. You want to evaluate ##\sqrt{(-1)^2}## or ##{((-1)^2)}^\frac{1}{2}##.

In essence, they're the same thing. Both exponentiation operations are of equal precedence, so you work from inside out. You're left with ##\sqrt{1}## or ##{1}^\frac{1}{2}##. Those are just different ways of writing the same thing. The usual implication of exponentiation to a fractional power is the extraction of the principal root, which is the unique positive value, if it exists. In this case, that's simply ##1##.

Doing it the second way, you might be tempted to use the law of exponents ##(a^b)^c = a^{bc}## to cancel the ##2## and the ##\frac{1}{2}##, but this would be wrong. That law only applies (without qualification) when ##a## is non-negative.

Likes 1 person
remember that:
[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}}=|x|[/tex]
not x.

Likes 1 person
ViolentCorpse said:
Based on what VC described rather than the notation used, this is the problem: ##\sqrt{(-1)^2}##. This expression simplifies to 1.

Likes 1 person
arildno said:
I find your notation unclear.
Do you mean: [itex]a: \sqrt{(-1)^{2}} b: (\sqrt{-1})^{2}[/itex]
Actually, the notation used was clear and unambiguous, but did not agree with his description.

Likes 1 person
This is what I meant: ##\sqrt{(-1)^2}##.

I'm sorry for the ambiguity guys. I tried putting the parentheses around -1 before, but the code broke down for some reason, so I removed it.

I think the greatest gap in my understanding was that I didn't know that the rule (a[itex]^{b}[/itex])[itex]^{c}[/itex] = a[itex]^{bc}[/itex] couldn't be applied for a<0 (still a bit confused about this point. Isn't (-2[itex]^{3}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (-2)[itex]^{6}[/itex]?

I knew that [itex]\sqrt{x}^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\left|x\right|[/itex], but it felt like this was inconsistent with the former rule (law of exponents), thanks to my ignorance. :redface:

Thank you so much, all of you! I seriously appreciate your help more than you probably know. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a negative square root?

A negative square root is a mathematical concept where the square root of a number results in a negative value. For example, the negative square root of 25 is -5.

2. Why do we need to solve the mystery of negative square roots?

Negative square roots are important in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering. It is important for scientists to understand and be able to solve negative square roots in order to accurately model and predict natural phenomena.

3. How do you solve for a negative square root?

To solve for a negative square root, you need to first identify the number inside the radical sign. Then, you can either use the rules of exponents or a calculator to find the square root. The resulting answer will be negative.

4. Can you have a negative square root of a negative number?

No, it is not possible to have a negative square root of a negative number. The square root of a negative number is considered an imaginary number and cannot be represented on a standard number line.

5. Are there any real-life examples of negative square roots?

Yes, negative square roots can be found in various real-world scenarios. For instance, in physics, negative square roots are used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity, which can be a negative value. Negative square roots are also used in geometry to calculate the length of the sides of a triangle.