Solving the Mystery of Simultaneity: A Relativity Question

• B
  • Thread starter TheQuestionGuy14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simultaneity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of simultaneity in Special Relativity and how it can be understood through the example of a man and an alien separated by millions of light years. The disagreement arises when the alien synchronizes his clocks using the speed of light, leading to a difference in perception of the present moment. The concept of time travel is also brought up, but it is explained that it is impossible to go back in time due to the limitations of the speed of light. The confusion is clarified by explaining that the alien does not actually see the future, but rather can only conclude what has happened based on the signal reaching him.
TheQuestionGuy14
Hey! So basically I studied General Relativity for a while and was moving on to Special Relativity and there's one thing in it that I can't seem to understand, simultaneity.

So I've seen videos explaining it with a train, an observer in the moving train and an observer outside the train as the train gets struck by two lightning bolts. I understand how they see the events differently and are both right as time is dilated as light must always travel at the same speed. I get that, but when you take light out of the equation, and make it a larger distance, I really get confused, here's an example:

So, if you watch the video, there is a man and an alien, many millions of lightyears apart. When they are stationary, time moves the same relative to each other, yet when the alien cycles away, his 'now' is now our 200 years ago. How does this make sense? How can alien or any being far away deciding to take a cycle make their now so different to ours? Also if his now is our 200 years ago, has he just time traveled technically? Sorry if this sounds like madness but it really confuses me.

I hope someone here would be able to help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the alien is cycling and synchronizes his clocks (where he is and all the way to us) using a light beam and adjusting his distant clocks taking the speed of light into account. Because he still measures the speed of light as c, even though he is moving, we would think that he has made the wrong adjustments for light speed and that his clocks are not really synchronized correctly. The alien's definition of 'now' is according to when his clocks read the same time. But we disagree with how he set his clocks. So we do not agree with the alien on whether events are simultaneous. Notice that if events happen in the same position in the direction of relative motion, then we would agree with the alien about whether they are simultaneous. Our disagreement would grow as the events get farther apart in the direction of relative motion.

When you say that "his now is our 200 years ago, has he just time traveled technically?", you are talking about "his now" very far away from him. His clocks were synchronized using the speed of light, so it is impossible for him to go back in time because it is impossible to go faster than light.

FactChecker said:
Suppose the alien is cycling and synchronizes his clocks (where he is and all the way to us) using a light beam and adjusting his distant clocks taking the speed of light into account. Because he still measures the speed of light as c, even though he is moving, we would think that he has made the wrong adjustments for light speed and that his clocks are not really synchronized correctly. The alien's definition of 'now' is according to when his clocks read the same time. But we disagree with how he set his clocks. So we do not agree with the alien on whether events are simultaneous. Notice that if events happen in the same position in the direction of relative motion, then we would agree with the alien about whether they are simultaneous. Our disagreement would grow as the events get farther apart in the direction of relative motion.

When you say that "his now is our 200 years ago, has he just time traveled technically?", you are talking about "his now" very far away from him. His clocks were synchronized using the speed of light, so it is impossible for him to go back in time because it is impossible to go faster than light.
Sorry, I still don't fully understand how he sees our past, then just by turning, he sees our future. I always thought that he would only be able to see the past, as the light would take time to reach him. (Eg. If he is 3 billion light years away, he sees Earth only 1 billion years old). I still don't see how the simple change of movement can make him see past and future. Could you explain it in layman's terms if ok? Thanks.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
then just by turning, he sees our future
No he doesn't. You are confusing what the alien actually sees with what (once the signal reaches him) he can conclude happened and at what times. The point is that you and the alien (at the time you have assigned as "now" according to your rest frame) have space-like separation. In essence, this means that there is no objective way of determining whether you are in the alien's future or if he is in yours. There will always be a reference frame in which you are at the same time. In relativity, "now" has no universal meaning. The only thing that has universal meaning for two events A and B are the mutually exclusive options (1) A is in the future light-cone of B, (2) B is in the future light-cone of A, or (3) A and B have space-like separation, by some authors referred to as A being elsewhere from B.

In case (1), a signal from event B can reach event A and therefore affect it and vice versa for (2). For case (3), there is no way that the events A and B can affect each other. A signal from A to B or vice versa would have to travel faster than the speed of light.

Likes nitsuj and Imager
Orodruin said:
No he doesn't. You are confusing what the alien actually sees with what (once the signal reaches him) he can conclude happened and at what times. The point is that you and the alien (at the time you have assigned as "now" according to your rest frame) have space-like separation. In essence, this means that there is no objective way of determining whether you are in the alien's future or if he is in yours. There will always be a reference frame in which you are at the same time. In relativity, "now" has no universal meaning. The only thing that has universal meaning for two events A and B are the mutually exclusive options (1) A is in the future light-cone of B, (2) B is in the future light-cone of A, or (3) A and B have space-like separation, by some authors referred to as A being elsewhere from B.

In case (1), a signal from event B can reach event A and therefore affect it and vice versa for (2). For case (3), there is no way that the events A and B can affect each other. A signal from A to B or vice versa would have to travel faster than the speed of light.
So basically when the alien cycles away from Earth the events in 1817 on Earth become simultaneous with his, according to the video, does this mean that if he somehow used a wormhole, he could in theory see our past?

There are no wormholes in SR.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
How does this make sense?

Because "now" has no physical meaning. The two different "nows" don't correspond to anything actually changing, physically; they're just two different arbitrary lines drawn on spacetime.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
does this mean that if he somehow used a wormhole, he could in theory see our past?

Wormholes are a whole different concept, which involves curved spacetime and can't even be analyzed using special relativity. As such, they are off topic for this thread. You need to understand SR itself first.

Likes nitsuj
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
So basically when the alien cycles away from Earth the events in 1817 on Earth become simultaneous with his, according to the video, does this mean that if he somehow used a wormhole, he could in theory see our past?

If this alien is millions of light years away and he can turn a powerful telescope on Earth then he would see things as they were millions of years ago. Seeing our past in this sense isn't a problem.

This example of simultaneity always seems to me to be designed to confuse rather than elucidate.

There's a post of mine from yesterday where I described the relativity of simultaneity in simple terms.

If you can't find it, I can always repost it here.

PeroK said:
This example of simultaneity always seems to me to be designed to confuse rather than elucidate.
It is Brian Greene - it is designed to shock, awe, and sell, not to teach or clarify.

Likes nitsuj and Dale
PeroK said:
If this alien is millions of light years away and he can turn a powerful telescope on Earth then he would see things as they were millions of years ago. Seeing our past in this sense isn't a problem.

There's a post of mine from yesterday where I described the relativity of simultaneity in simple terms.

If you can't find it, I can always repost it here.
Please do repost, thanks!

He is just seeing what our clocks at a distant location say is in the past, or what our clocks at a distant location say is in the future. We would say that his clocks are wrong.

Regarding his seeing "the future", he can not see anything till after it has actually happened according to our clocks. Remember that in that far distant direction, his clocks reach his "now" time much earlier than ours. And in the other distant direction, his "now" clocks are set much later than ours. (Or is it the opposite. I have trouble keeping it straight.)

FactChecker said:
He is just seeing what our clocks at a distant location say is in the past, or what our clocks at a distant location say is in the future. We would say that his clocks are wrong.

Regarding his seeing "the future", he can not see anything till after it has actually happened according to our clocks. Remember that in that far distant direction, his clocks do not reach his "now" time till much later than ours.
So let's say the alien is 3 billion light years away, and then starts to move towards the Earth. So if he starts moving towards Earth, his transition to a new reference frame means that time dilates and length contracts - as soon as he starts moving, it is no longer 3 billion light years to Earth, but, say, 2 billion light years.

Before, he would have physically seen a clock saying "2017 minus 3 billion years" and, knowing he was 3 billion light years away, would conclude that it is now 2017. Now he's moving, it's only 2 billion light years to Earth, so he must conclude that, because he still physically sees "2017 minus 3 billion years", that it must now be 2017 minus a billion years (i.e. 2 billion years later than the time on the clock he sees).

Would this be correct?

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Please do repost, thanks!
If you have a vehicle with a light source in the middle, then in the reference frame of tge vehicle the light reaches the front and rear at the same time.

But, in a frame where the vehicle is moving, the light reaches the rear first - as it is moving towards the source and the front is moving away from the source.

Therefore, simultaneity is frame dependent.

Orodruin said:

So, all in all, by the time he reaches us it will be our present, and his present anyways. The video title doesn't really mean that the past and future are mixed with the present. The past is gone, but the alien can see it from Earth's light and the future is still yet to come, and he will only see it once it happens, causality and all preserved.

Likes PeroK
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
and he will only see it once it happens
He will see it even later due to the signal not arriving instantaneously.

@TheQuestionGuy14

In fact, if you consider that the alien planet is orbiting its star as ours does and the relative velocity between the two planets is constantly changing, then you can see the fatuousness of reading any physical significance into an alien or earthling getting on a bicycle!

Likes laymanB
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
So let's say the alien is 3 billion light years away, and then starts to move towards the Earth. So if he starts moving towards Earth, his transition to a new reference frame means that time dilates and length contracts - as soon as he starts moving, it is no longer 3 billion light years to Earth, but, say, 2 billion light years.

Before, he would have physically seen a clock saying "2017 minus 3 billion years" and, knowing he was 3 billion light years away, would conclude that it is now 2017. Now he's moving, it's only 2 billion light years to Earth, so he must conclude that, because he still physically sees "2017 minus 3 billion years", that it must now be 2017 minus a billion years (i.e. 2 billion years later than the time on the clock he sees).

Would this be correct?

Well I don't see any error. But in that story the now-moment on Earth according to he alien changed towards the past. That is a 'wrong' direction.Let's say the alien starts to cycle towards the Earth, and let's say that causes the now-moment on Earth according to he alien to change 200 years towards the future. Now we can conclude some things about the light the alien is seeing. Like how long time the light has been traveling according to the alien. Or maybe rather how much the travel time changed when the cycling motion started.

The received light quite suddenly became 200 years older according to the alien. As light received from the Earth became 200 years older according to the alien, that means the event on Earth that the alien is seeing became 200 years older according to the alien. And that means that all other events on Earth became 200 years older too, according to the alien. And that means that the Earth moved 200 years towards the future, according to the alien.

We, or the alien rather, can find a cause for that increase of age of light. It can not be anything else but 200 light years more distance for the light to travel.

Last edited:
Acceleration and deceleration adds some complications to the problem. Suppose the alien is already moving fast and decides to accelerate at time t=1 throughout his reference frame. Remember that we do not agree with him that his time t=1 is synchronized correctly. We see the trailing end of his reference frame accelerate earlier than at the alien's location and the front end accelerates later. That agrees with the shortening of his length measurements (in our eyes). It gets complicated. Apparently, people who are good with Minkowski diagrams (I am not one) can use them to keep track of everything.

Last edited:
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
So I've seen videos explaining it with a train, an observer in the moving train and an observer outside the train as the train gets struck by two lightning bolts. I understand how they see the events differently and are both right as time is dilated as light must always travel at the same speed.

Perhaps I have a misunderstanding, but I don't see how time dilation is involved in those examples.

They do demonstrate that events that are simultaneous in one frame are not simultaneous in another, but I don't see how time dilation is involved in those explanations.

What is the concept of simultaneity in relativity?

The concept of simultaneity in relativity refers to the idea that events that are simultaneous in one frame of reference may not be simultaneous in another frame of reference. This is due to the fact that time and space are relative and can be affected by the relative motion of observers.

How does relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

Relativity challenges the traditional understanding of time and space as absolute and constant. Instead, it suggests that time and space are intertwined and can be affected by the relative motion of observers. This means that the perception of time and space can vary between different frames of reference.

What is the significance of the thought experiment involving two observers with synchronized clocks?

The thought experiment involving two observers with synchronized clocks, known as the "Twin Paradox", demonstrates the concept of time dilation in relativity. It shows that time can pass at different rates for two observers in relative motion, leading to a difference in their ages when they are reunited.

How does Einstein's theory of special relativity explain the phenomenon of simultaneity?

Einstein's theory of special relativity explains simultaneity by taking into account the constancy of the speed of light in all reference frames. This means that the perception of time and space can vary between different observers, depending on their relative motion. The theory also introduces the concept of spacetime, where time and space are not separate entities but are interconnected.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of simultaneity in relativity?

The concept of simultaneity in relativity has many practical applications, such as in GPS technology, where precise timing is essential for accurate location tracking. It also plays a crucial role in particle accelerators and other high-speed experiments, where the effects of relativity must be taken into account. In addition, the concept of simultaneity has implications for our understanding of the universe and the nature of time and space.