Solving the Schrodinger equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of solving the complete Schrödinger equation and the use of reduced formulations in studying the electronic properties of solids. These reduced formulations have resulted in multiple parallel strands of research and have led to the discovery of new phenomena that must be accommodated by the existing theoretical framework. In turn, experiments can also challenge existing concepts and lead to the expansion of the framework with the introduction of new fundamental concepts. However, it is important to note that these predictions are only valid within the boundaries of the theory's domain of validity.
spaghetti3451
This extract is from my college notes.

"Because of the inherent difficulty of obtaining even grossly approximate solutions of the complete Schrodinger equation, one typically focuses on reduced formulations that are believed to capture the essential features of the problem of interest. This has resulted in a number of parallel strands in the study of the electronic properties of solids and is, in large part, responsible for the richness of the subject as a whole. Experiments are constantly discovering new phenomena that either must be accommodated within the existing theoretical framework, or provide the basis for expanding this framework by introducing new fundamental concepts. Theory, in turn, makes predictions that challenge existing concepts and which must be tested by experiments."

inherent: Why has this word been used?

complete: Wat are the incomplete and the complete versions?

reduced formulations: Reduced? How?

This has resulted in a number of parallel strands in the study of the electronic properties of solids and is, in large part, responsible for the richness of the subject as a whole.:
I don't understand.

for expanding this framework by introducing new fundamental concepts: And why should the new fundamntal concepts fit into (be consistent with) the old theroetical framework?

Theory makes predictions that challenge existing concepts: How can a self-consistent theory make predictions that challenge the theory?

Finally, I don't see any connection between the first two and the last two sentences.

Anyone that helps I thank.

Physics news on Phys.org
The complete Schrödinger equation for a system of merely two particles, in Cartesian coordinates, is

[tex]- \frac{\hbar^2}{2m_1}
\left( {\frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x_1^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial y_1^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial z_1^2} \right)
- \frac{\hbar^2}{2m_2}
\left( {\frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x_2^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial y_2^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial z_2^2} \right)
+ V(x_1, y_1, z_1, x_2, y_2, z_2, t) \Psi = -i \hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}[/tex]

where

[tex]\Psi = \Psi(x_1, y_1, z_1, x_2, y_2, z_2, t)[/tex]

For systems with more particles, extend the equation correspondingly with more variables and terms. The key is that psi is a function of 3N+1 variables, where N is the number of particles in the system. To make any headway in solving this, you need to make simplifying assumptions that reduce the number of variables that you have to deal with.

failexam, I agree. Whoever wrote that passage must be getting paid by the word.

This is probably oversimplifying what you asked, but I think part of the problem is that there are not a lot of exactly solvable problems in Quantum Mechanics. In other words, we don't know how to solve the equations describing the physics, without resorting to approximate methods.

In most QM texts you solve unrealistic problems like the particle in the box, that are solvable. Then you might do the free particle (which in purest terms is also unrealistic) and the hydrogen atom. But, very quickly you go into time-dependent and time-independent perturbation theory, which are "approximation schemes".

failexam said:
Theory makes predictions that challenge existing concepts: How can a self-consistent theory make predictions that challenge the theory?

I think the trick is self-consistent within its domain of validity.

GR is a good example. It, more or less, predicts singularities. In other words, it predicts a phenomenon it offers no explanation for.

This happens because it is going outside the domain where the theory is valid.

A self-consistent theory can make its boundaries of validity very evident in this way.

Thnaks for helping.

Bill_K said:
failexam, I agree. Whoever wrote that passage must be getting paid by the word.

Why should he be getting paid by the word?

Related to Solving the Schrodinger equation

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the state of a quantum system changes over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger and is used to calculate the wave function of a quantum system.

2. Why is solving the Schrodinger equation important?

Solving the Schrodinger equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems, which are essential for many modern technologies such as computers, lasers, and medical imaging devices.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation solved?

The Schrodinger equation is solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. These techniques allow us to find the wave function of a quantum system, which contains all the information about the system's properties.

4. What are some applications of solving the Schrodinger equation?

Solving the Schrodinger equation has many practical applications, including understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, predicting the properties of materials, and designing new drugs and materials. It is also used in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Schrodinger equation?

While the Schrodinger equation is a powerful tool for understanding quantum systems, it does have some limitations. It cannot accurately describe systems with large numbers of particles or interactions, and it does not take into account the effects of relativity. Additionally, the exact solutions to the equation are only known for a few simple systems, so approximations and numerical methods are often used for more complex systems.