Solving this problem using the energy method

In summary: So, you should have written:It is confusing because of the way x is defined.Try obtaining the equation for m as a function of x. The leak contributes ##\frac 12 v^2dm## to dE. Substitute for ##v^2## using E/M.I got E/M as I showed aboveThe rate of leaking is constant. So ##dE= 1/2 dm v^2 = 1/2 \lambda dx v^2 = E/M. The last equality is not correct. It looks like you assumed that ##E = \frac{1}{2}Mv^2##. But the mass of sand in the
Abhishek11235
Homework Statement
This is the exercise from Morin's book on classical mechanics. The problem is as follows:
Consider a leaky bucket pulled by a string towards wall(see screenshot). The bucket leaks all the way which is constant (i.e ##dm/dx = \lambda## where m is the instantaneous mass of bucket. He asks to calculate kinetic energy as the function of distance
Relevant Equations
##dE/dx= F##
I attempted the solution using force method. I got correct. However, I was stuck at the alternative way to solve problem using energy method. As shown in screenshot 2, he tells that the energy of system changes due to 2 ways:
- The tension T
- Leaking of mass

As shown in screenshot 2 ,the leaking of mass contributes dx/x. My question is how this expression comes up? Please detailed justification and Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-29-23-53-33.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-29-23-53-33.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Screenshot_2019-04-29-23-41-44.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-29-23-41-44.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
As the mass moves an incremental distance x, it loses a fraction of its mass. If it is at distance 10 and moves incrementally by dx, it will lose dx/10 of its mass. If it is at distance x, it will lose a fraction, dx/x, of its mass.

If it loses dx/x of its mass, it loses dx/x of its energy.

Just as Morin says, the contribution to dE from this is E dx/x.

Last edited:
Abhishek11235 said:
My question is how this expression comes up
It is confusing because of the way x is defined.
Try obtaining the equation for m as a function of x. The leak contributes ##\frac 12 v^2dm## to dE. Substitute for ##v^2## using E.

jbriggs444 said:
As the mass moves an incremental distance x, it loses a fraction of its mass. If it is at distance 10 and moves incrementally by dx, it will lose dx/10 of its mass. If it is at distance x, it will lose a fraction, dx/x, of its mass.

If it loses dx/x of its mass, it loses dx/x of its energy.

Just as Morin says, the contribution to dE from this is E dx/x.
How can it lose dx/x fraction? The rate of leaking is constant. So ##dE= 1/2 dm v^2 = 1/2 \lambda dx v^2 = E dx/L## since ##\lambda= M/L##. I want justification for dx/x.

haruspex said:
It is confusing because of the way x is defined.
Try obtaining the equation for m as a function of x. The leak contributes ##\frac 12 v^2dm## to dE. Substitute for ##v^2## using E.
I got E dx/L as I showed above

Abhishek11235 said:
The rate of leaking is constant. So ##dE= 1/2 dm v^2 = 1/2 \lambda dx v^2 = E dx/L##.
The last equality is not correct. It looks like you assumed that ##E = \frac{1}{2}Mv^2##. But the mass of sand in the bucket is not ##M## (except at the initial point of release).

Likes Abhishek11235
TSny said:
The last equality is not correct. It looks like you assumed that ##E = \frac{1}{2}Mv^2##. But the mass of sand in the bucket is not ##M## (except at the initial point of release).
Ok. So, I tried doing the dE. However,to get correct answer I have to assume dm/dx= M/x. Otherwise I get L everytime. Can you elaborate your answer please?

Abhishek11235 said:
Ok. So, I tried doing the dE. However,to get correct answer I have to assume dm/dx= M/x. Otherwise I get L everytime. Can you elaborate your answer please?
As @TSny writes, you substituted E/M for ½v2, but E depends on the current mass, m, not the initial mass, M

1. What is the energy method and how does it work?

The energy method is a mathematical approach used to solve problems in physics and engineering. It involves using the concept of conservation of energy to analyze a system and determine its behavior. This method works by considering the different forms of energy (such as kinetic and potential energy) present in a system and how they change over time.

2. How is the energy method different from other problem-solving techniques?

The energy method is unique in that it focuses on the total energy of a system rather than individual forces or components. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system's behavior and can often lead to simpler and more elegant solutions.

3. What types of problems can be solved using the energy method?

The energy method can be applied to a wide range of problems in physics and engineering, including those involving motion, forces, and potential energy. It is particularly useful for analyzing systems with conservative forces, such as gravity or elastic forces.

4. What are the advantages of using the energy method in problem-solving?

One of the main advantages of the energy method is its ability to simplify complex problems by considering the overall energy of a system. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of a system's behavior and can often lead to more efficient and elegant solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the energy method?

While the energy method is a powerful tool for problem-solving, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to systems with non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, it may not be suitable for solving problems involving quantum mechanics or relativistic effects.