Solving Tricky Math Problems: Cylinders, Curves and Scooters

In summary, at the beginning the can has a volume of V0 and after t minutes the can has a volume of V(t+1). The volume increases at a rate of 4 in/min for the radius and 10 in/min for the height.
myanmar
I'm really having trouble with these three problems. I'd post my attempts but most of it is in graph from.

3. David subjects a cylindrical can to a certain transformation. During this transformation the radius and height vary continuously with time. The radius is increasing at 4 in/min, while the height is decreasing at 10 in/min. Is the volume of the can increasing or decreasing, and at what rate, when the radius is 3 inches and the height is 5 inches?
4. A particle moves along a path described by [tex]y=x^{2}[/tex]. At what point along the curve are [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] changing at the same rate? Find this rate if at that time we have [tex]y = sin^{2} t[/tex] and [tex]x = sin t[/tex]
5. Two straight roads intersect at right angles near the Krupps factory at Baden-Baden. Fabio drives his scooter towards the intersection at a rate of 50 kph. Ilsa drives her scooter on the other road away from the intersection at a speed of 30 kph. When Fabio is 2 kilometers from the intersection and Ilsa is 4 kilometers from the intersection:
(a) How fast is the distance between them changing?
(b) Are Fabio and Ilsa getting closer together or farther apart?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with 3.
The question talks about cylindrical cans, heights, radii and volumes and all of these quantities change over time...oh my god:smile:

So my first question: Can you write down an equation for the height of the can after t minutes? For the radius of the can after t minutes?

Do you know how the volume of the can is related to the height and the radius and can you thus write down an expression for the volume of the can after t minutes?

You can assume that at the beginning ( that is after 0 minutes ) the height of the can is h0 and the radius is r0 ... what would be the volume of the can before the "transformation" starts?

Be careful how you understand Pere Callahan's suggestion. You don't actually have to write the volume as a function of time. You need to write a formula for the volume and use the chain rule to differentiate both sides with respect to t- which you can do even if there is no t explicitely in the formula.

What you do need to do is show what you have tried!

Related to Solving Tricky Math Problems: Cylinders, Curves and Scooters

1. What is the difference between a cylinder and a curve?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and straight sides, while a curve is a two-dimensional shape that can be curved or straight. In math problems, cylinders are often used to represent objects with circular cross-sections, while curves can represent a variety of shapes and can be used in different types of equations.

2. How do I find the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the circular base and h is the height of the cylinder. Simply plug in the values for r and h and solve for V to find the volume.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in solving math problems?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is commonly used in solving geometry and trigonometry problems involving right triangles.

4. Can you provide an example of a tricky math problem involving scooters?

Sure! An example of a tricky math problem involving scooters could be: A group of friends rent scooters for $20 each for 3 hours. After 3 hours, they return the scooters and receive a refund of $5 per scooter for every hour they did not use. If the group received a total refund of $40, how many scooters did they rent?

5. How do I know which formula to use for a specific math problem?

The best way to determine which formula to use is to carefully read and understand the problem. Look for key words and phrases that may indicate what type of problem it is, such as "volume" for a cylinder problem or "distance" for a problem involving scooters. If you are still unsure, you can ask your teacher or a math tutor for help.