Solving Trig Identities: Combining Cos(x) and Sin(x) Terms

In summary: The trick is to use the identitysin(x+y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y)to “split the difference” :lol: between the LHS and RHS. Thus:A cos(x) + B sin (x) = (A cos(x) + B sin(x)) [cos(y)/cos(y)] = (C cos(y)) sin (x) + (C sin(y)) cos(x) = C sin(x+y) and hey presto!In summary, the conversation discusses how to condense the terms A cos(x) + B sin(x) into one term like C sin(x + invtan(?)). The conversation provides a derivation using trig identities to simplify the equation.
HasuChObe
I forget how this one goes.

A cos(x) + B sin (x) = C sin (x + invtan(?))

How do you go about condensing both these terms into 1 like the above?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
HasuChObe said:
I forget how this one goes.

How do you go about condensing both these terms into 1 like the above?

Does this help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trig_identities

I'm not sure how much help the wikipedia page will be so I'll provide a relatively simple derivation here:

Given,

Asin(x) + Bcos(x)

We can define the sine and cosine of an angle y by considering a right triangle with side lengths A and B. The hypotenuse is then given by,

C = sqrt(A2 + B2)

Consequently, the sine and cosine of y are given by the following formulas,

sin(y) = B/sqrt(A2 + B2)

cos(y) = A/sqrt(A2 + B2)

Substituting these values into the equation produces,

C[sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y)] = Asin(x) + Bcos(x)

Therefore,

Csin(x + y) = Asin(x) + Bcos(x)

Now, we only need determing an expression for y. Using our expressions for sin(y) and cos(y), we know that,

tan(y) = B/A

y = arctan(B/A) = tan-1(B/A)

and consequently,

Asin(x) + Bcos(x) = Csin(x + tan-1(B/A))

Hope this helps!

Let A=Ccos(y) and B=Csin(y). So you see immediatedly that:
C2=A2+B2
and B/A=tany.

HasuChObe said:

Hi HasuChObe! :smile:

(I think I'm saying the same as other people, but let's just isolate the principle …)

The object is to get the LHS to look like cos(x)sin(?) + sin(x)cos(?) :wink:

Related to Solving Trig Identities: Combining Cos(x) and Sin(x) Terms

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and are true for all values of the variables involved. These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric expressions and equations.

2. How do I solve trigonometric identities?

To solve trigonometric identities, you need to use the properties and relationships between trigonometric functions. This involves manipulating the given expression using algebraic techniques and applying trigonometric identities to simplify it. The goal is to transform the given expression into a simpler form that is easier to work with.

3. What is the process for combining cos(x) and sin(x) terms?

The process for combining cos(x) and sin(x) terms involves using the trigonometric identity cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) = 1 to replace either the cosine or sine terms with the other. This allows you to express the given expression in terms of just one trigonometric function, which can then be simplified further using other trigonometric identities.

4. Why is it important to know how to solve trigonometric identities?

Knowing how to solve trigonometric identities is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. These identities are used to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and equations, making it easier to solve problems involving angles, distances, and other geometric concepts.

5. What are some tips for solving trigonometric identities?

Some tips for solving trigonometric identities include:

• Familiarize yourself with the common trigonometric identities.
  • Use algebraic techniques to manipulate the given expression into a simpler form.
  • Look for ways to replace trigonometric functions with their identities.
  • Work systematically and carefully through each step of the problem.
  • Check your final solution by substituting it back into the original expression.