Solving Truss Loads: Moment, Trusses & Reactions

In summary, the conversation is about determining a reaction load for a truss using the equations p1=800#, p2=600# and a=8, and the attempt at a solution involves finding the values for Cy, Ax, and Ay by using the sum of moments and forces equations. The free sliding support, Cx, does not contribute to the reaction load.
jellybellybea

Homework Statement

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/sarcasticlil123/truss.jpg

Homework Equations

p1=800#, p2= 600# and a=8, determine a reaction load

The Attempt at a Solution

sum Ma=0=-4.5p1-6p2+12.5cy
I am generally lost, this isn't homework its practice for the final exam. Could someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
jellybellybea said:

Homework Statement

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/sarcasticlil123/truss.jpg

Homework Equations

p1=800#, p2= 600# and a=8, determine a reaction load

The Attempt at a Solution

sum Ma=0=-4.5p1-6p2+12.5cy
I am generally lost, this isn't homework its practice for the final exam. Could someone help?
You've got it right. From your equation, you can solve for Cy. Then use sum of forces in x direction = 0, and sum of forces in y direction = 0, to solve for Ax and Ay. Note that Cx must be zero, since it is a roller support that is free to slide in the x direction, and thus, can support no load in that direction.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the variables and their corresponding values. In this case, we have three forces acting on the truss: p1 = 800#, p2 = 600#, and the reaction load, which we are trying to solve for. We also have the distance between the two forces, a = 8, and the moment arm of the reaction load, cy = 12.5.

Next, I would apply the principle of moments, which states that the sum of all the moments acting on an object must be equal to zero for the object to be in equilibrium. In this case, we can write the equation as follows:

sum Ma = 0 = -4.5p1 - 6p2 + 12.5cy

We can substitute the values of p1, p2, and cy into the equation and solve for the reaction load. This will give us the magnitude of the reaction load required to keep the truss in equilibrium.

It is important to note that this is a simplified approach and does not take into account any other external forces or factors that may affect the truss. it is always important to consider all possible variables and factors when solving a problem.

1. What is a truss and why is it important in solving loads?

A truss is a structure made up of triangular units connected by straight members. It is important in solving loads because it can efficiently distribute and support applied loads, making it a common structural element in buildings and bridges.

2. How do you calculate the moment in a truss?

The moment in a truss can be calculated by summing the moments of all the forces acting on a joint, using the principle of moments. This can be done using equations of equilibrium or by using a method called the method of joints.

3. What are truss reactions and how do they affect the overall stability of a truss?

Truss reactions are the forces that the supports exert on the truss structure. These reactions are essential in keeping the truss in equilibrium and ensuring its stability. If the reactions are not properly calculated, the truss may fail under applied loads.

4. How do you determine the force in each member of a truss?

The force in each member of a truss can be determined by using the method of joints or the method of sections. Both methods involve analyzing the forces acting on the truss structure and solving for the unknown forces using the equations of equilibrium.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving truss loads?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving truss loads include not considering the effects of distributed loads, not properly labeling forces and angles, and not ensuring that all the equations of equilibrium are satisfied. It is also important to double check calculations and use proper units to avoid errors.