Solving $\vec F = m\vec a$: How is $\vec F = -mkv$ Possible?

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
In summary: My answer would be because Newton's law is not ##F_{avg}=ma_{avg}##. Perhaps @haruspex has some other...
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1676331350534.png

My working is

## \vec F = m\vec a##
## \vec F = \frac {m(v - v_i)}{\Delta t} ##
## \vec F = \frac {-mkx}{\Delta t} ##

However, the solution said ##\vec F = -mkv ##. I don't understand how this is possible since ## v ≠\frac {x}{\Delta t} ## since ##v =\frac {\Delta x}{\Delta t} ##?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 322236
My working is

## \vec F = m\vec a##
## \vec F = \frac {m(v - v_i)}{\Delta t} ##
## \vec F = \frac {-mkx}{\Delta t} ##

However, the solution said ##\vec F = -mkv ##. I don't understand how this is possible since ## v ≠\frac {x}{\Delta t} ## since ##v =\frac {\Delta x}{\Delta t} ##?

Many thanks!
You do not take a finite difference, you take the derivative of v with respect to t to get acceleration.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
You do not divide by δt, you take the derivative of v with respect to t to get acceleration.
Thank you for your reply @Frabjous!

I was trying to solve this problem using the algebra definition of velocity only. It's possible to solve this problem without calculus right?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
It's possible to solve this problem without calculus right?
Yes, but you took the finite difference wrong. You want start with Δv/Δt.
Hint: Δvi=0 since it is a constant.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
Yes, but you took the finite difference wrong. You want start with Δv/Δt.
Hint: Δvi=0 since it is a constant.
Thank you for your reply @Frabjous !

I though ##\Delta v = v_f - v_i = v - v_i ## since they drop the ##f## for ##v##

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @Frabjous !

I though ##\Delta v = v_f - v_i = v - v_i ## since they drop the ##f## for ##v##

Many thanks!
vi is just a constant. It could have just as easily been labeled a. vf is not in the original problem.
Δv=Δvi-Δ(kx)
Since k is also a constant you can pull it outside the Δ.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
I wouldn't try it without calculus. Calculus is your friend here.
Might this be of help?$$a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}.$$

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
I was trying to solve this problem using the algebra definition of velocity
The "algebra definition" ##\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}## is for the average velocity over the time interval ##\Delta t##. You need to use the definitions of instantaneous velocity and instantaneous acceleration, which can only be expressed in calculus.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Thank you for your replies @Frabjous, @kuruman and @haruspex !

I have figured out how solve to the problem using algebra. The calculus way as a lot faster thought!

## v_i = v(x_i) = v_i - kx_i ##
## v_f = v(x_f) = v_i - kx_f ##
## \Delta v = v_f - v_i= v_i - kx_f - (v_i - kx_i) = -kx_f + kx_i = k(x_i - x_f) = -k\Delta x ##

Then plug ##\Delta v## into Newton II to get their answer :)

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your replies @Frabjous, @kuruman and @haruspex !

I have figured out how solve to the problem using algebra. The calculus way as a lot faster thought!

## v_i = v(x_i) = v_i - kx_i ##
## v_f = v(x_f) = v_i - kx_f ##
## \Delta v = v_f - v_i= v_i - kx_f - (v_i - kx_i) = -kx_f + kx_i = k(x_i - x_f) = -k\Delta x ##

Then plug ##\Delta v## into Newton II to get their answer :)
I assume your final steps are
##\frac{ \Delta v }{\Delta t}= -k\frac{ \Delta x }{\Delta t}##
##a=-kv##
But as I pointed out, that doesn’t quite work because the final line above should read
##a_{avg}=-kv_{avg}##, where the averages are taken over the time interval.
To get the target answer you need to apply the calculus principle of letting the deltas tend to zero.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
I assume your final steps are
##\frac{ \Delta v }{\Delta t}= -k\frac{ \Delta x }{\Delta t}##
##a=-kv##
But as I pointed out, that doesn’t quite work because the final line above should read
##a_{avg}=-kv_{avg}##, where the averages are taken over the time interval.
To get the target answer you need to apply the calculus principle of letting the deltas tend to zero.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

Your assumption of my finial steps is correct

I agree that I should has used average notation including ##F_{avg}##

However, would you please know why are looking for the instantaneous force not average force from the question?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
However, would you please know why are looking for the instantaneous force not average force from the question?
My answer would be because Newton's law is not ##F_{avg}=ma_{avg}##. Perhaps @haruspex has some other answer.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
My answer would be because Newton's law is not ##F_{avg}=ma_{avg}##. Perhaps @haruspex has some other answer.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman !

Callumnc1 said:
why are looking for the instantaneous force not average force
Because the question does not specify average it should be taken as meaning instantaneous.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
Because the question does not specify average it should be taken as meaning instantaneous.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex !

1. How is it possible for $\vec F = -mkv$ to represent a solution to $\vec F = m\vec a$?

The equation $\vec F = -mkv$ is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration ($\vec F = m\vec a$). When an object is moving with a constant velocity, its acceleration is equal to zero, meaning that there is no net force acting on the object. In this case, the force of friction ($-mkv$) cancels out the applied force ($\vec F$), resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How does the mass ($m$) affect the solution to $\vec F = m\vec a$?

The mass of an object affects its acceleration, which in turn affects the solution to $\vec F = m\vec a$. According to Newton's Second Law, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. This means that for a given force ($\vec F$), an object with a larger mass will have a smaller acceleration, and vice versa.

3. What does the velocity ($v$) represent in the equation $\vec F = -mkv$?

The velocity ($v$) in the equation $\vec F = -mkv$ represents the speed and direction at which an object is moving. In this equation, the negative sign indicates that the force of friction is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

4. Can $\vec F = -mkv$ be used to solve for the acceleration of an object?

Yes, $\vec F = -mkv$ can be used to solve for the acceleration of an object. By rearranging the equation to $\vec a = \frac{\vec F}{m}$, we can see that the acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on the object divided by its mass.

5. Are there any limitations to using $\vec F = -mkv$ as a solution to $\vec F = m\vec a$?

Yes, there are some limitations to using $\vec F = -mkv$ as a solution to $\vec F = m\vec a$. This equation assumes that the object is moving at a constant velocity and that the force of friction is the only force acting on the object. In reality, there may be other forces at play, such as air resistance or other external forces, which could affect the object's acceleration.