Solving Vectors Questions: Cosine & Sine Laws

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a solution for a closed triangle where the angle and magnitudes of the sides are given. If the given data are irrelevant, then the problem becomes finding the components of ##\vec{w}## using basic trigonometry.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

As in the diagram.

Homework Equations

Cosine law
sine law

The Attempt at a Solution

if we do attempt the magnitudes of u and w and the angle between them 60 degrees, I can solve for the opposite side where v is supposed to be.
I calculated
[tex] |k \vec{v}|^2 = |u|^2 + |w|^2 - 2|u||w| \cos 60 [/tex]
when I calculate the above I got the value of the right side as square root 52
[tex] \sqrt{52} = \frac{\sqrt{52}}{7} |\vec{v}| [/tex]

Would this mean that to get w as a linear combination of u and v, we simply can write

[tex] \vec{w} = \vec{u} - \frac{\sqrt{52}}{7} \vec{v} [/tex]

is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of this as a trig question: what are the component vectors of ##\vec{w}##? Go from there.

verty said:
Think of this as a trig question: what are the component vectors of ##\vec{w}##? Go from there.

[tex] w_{x} = 8 \cos 60 \hat{i} [/tex]
[tex] w_{y} = 8 \sin 60 \hat{j} [/tex]

So of course x along the horizontal so
[tex] w_{x} = |u| - |v| \cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] w_{y} = - |v| \sin \theta [/tex]

But this will not yield exact answers when solved

stunner5000pt said:

PS are we to assume that u and v are perpendicular? That would remove the need for the above

The diagram is a little rough, but it looks as though it is supposed to be a closed triangle. If so, the given data (angle and magnitudes) are irrelevant.

stunner5000pt said:

You have assumed that ##\vec{u}## is parallel to ##\hat{j}## and has the same orientation, but you shouldn't make these assumptions. However, the assumption that ##\vec{u}## and ##\vec{v}## are perpendicular is necessary to make any sense of the question, I think.

1. What are the cosine and sine laws used for in vector problems?

The cosine and sine laws are used to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle when given other known sides and angles. They are commonly used in vector problems involving right triangles.

2. How do you use the cosine and sine laws to solve for a missing side or angle?

To use the cosine law, you would use the formula c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos(C), where c is the unknown side, a and b are known sides, and C is the angle opposite the unknown side. To use the sine law, you would use the formula a/sin(A) = b/sin(B) = c/sin(C), where a, b, and c are sides and A, B, and C are angles of the triangle.

3. What is the difference between the cosine and sine laws?

The cosine law is used to solve for a missing side of a triangle, while the sine law is used to solve for a missing angle. Additionally, the cosine law involves the cosine function, while the sine law involves the sine function.

4. When can you use the cosine and sine laws?

The cosine and sine laws can only be used in problems involving right triangles. They cannot be used for solving non-right triangles.

5. How can I check my answers when using the cosine and sine laws?

To check your answers, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to ensure that the sum of the squares of the two shorter sides of a triangle is equal to the square of the longest side. You can also use a scientific calculator to calculate the values of the trigonometric functions and compare them to your answers.