Solving Wood Block Force Problem vs Wall: Net Force Calculation

In summary, the discussion revolved around identifying and understanding the different forces acting on a 1.0 kg wood block pressed against a vertical wood wall. The main focus was on the normal force and how it can exist in a horizontal plane even without an object pressing against it. The normal force is the component of the contact force perpendicular to the interface between the block and the wall. This force, along with the weight of the block and the applied 12 N force, determines whether the block will move upward, downward, or stay at rest.
Sylis
A 1.0 kg wood block is pressed against a vertical wood wall by a 12 N force (into the wall, at a 30 degrees angle up from the horizontal). if the block is initially at rest, will it move upward, move downward, or stay at rest?

I'm working on the problem above, and through Google found this link. I understand how to accomplish the problem. However, I'm having trouble identifying the forces in play. My teacher wants us to accomplish these sort of problems a very specific sort of way.
1) Identify forces (In this case I'd have horizontal forces and vertical forces)
2)Draw a free-body diagram
3) Apply Newton's second law in Component form. (ƩFx=max/ƩFy=may)

And solve.

So far my horizontal force is the Push force (30cos12) and my vertical forces are Static Friction, weight and also Push force (30sin12).

"Fnet(x) = Fn - Fpush(x) , and since Fnet(x) is 0, then Fn = Fpush (x)" (from link)
I'm not understanding where he is getting Fn from or what Fn even stands for, I thought perhaps it was normal force, but there is no horizontal surface the block of wood is on, so there should be no normal force.

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't just one horizontal force acting on the block. There is another force. Fn is the horizontal force exerted by the wall on the block. Similarly, the static friction force is the vertical force exerted by the wall on the block.

Yea, I knew there wasn't just the one horizontal force, that's just what I had come up with so far. I thought that Fn was normal force, which only applied to horizontal surfaces.

So normal force is any force that opposes the force on an object by another object in the opposite direction regardless of being horizontal or vertical? Or is not normal force at all, and is something that eludes me?

Normal force is defined as the component of the contact force perpendicular to the interface.

So basically... "normal force is any force that opposes the force on an object by another object in the opposite direction regardless of being horizontal or vertical" in layman terms?

Even then, how do you have a normal force in a horizontal plane when there is no object pressing against it in the horizontal plane? Unless resolving the force applied to the block pressed against the wall (12N) in the x and y-axis gives you the normal force in each plane?

The block is pressed against the wall with a horizontal component of force Fcos30° and pushed upwards with a component Fsin30°.The block in turn pushes against the wall .There is contact force between the block and the wall .The component of the contact force perpendicular to the wall (looks horizontal to us) is the normal force .the component of contact force parallel to the wall (looks vertical to us) is known as friction which opposes relative motion between the block and the wall.

Sylis said:
So basically... "normal force is any force that opposes the force on an object by another object in the opposite direction regardless of being horizontal or vertical" in layman terms?

Even then, how do you have a normal force in a horizontal plane when there is no object pressing against it in the horizontal plane? Unless resolving the force applied to the block pressed against the wall (12N) in the x and y-axis gives you the normal force in each plane?

Let's be clear. There are three forces acting on the block:
1. Weight of the block
2. 12 lb. force applied to the block from the right
3. Force exerted by the wall on the block from the left

We know that the wall is exerting a force on the block because, otherwise, the block would go through the wall.

The force exerted by the wall on the block can be resolved into two components: one component perpendicular to the block/wall interface, and the other component tangent to the block/wall interface. The component perpendicular to the interface is called the Normal component of the Force, or, simply the Normal Force. The component tangent to the interface is called the Shear Force or Frictional Force.

Chet

What is the difference between solving a wood block force problem and a wall force problem?

When solving a wood block force problem, we are typically interested in determining the forces acting on the block, such as tension, friction, and weight. In a wall force problem, we are concerned with the forces acting on the wall, which can include tension, compression, and shear forces.

How do you calculate the net force on a wood block?

The net force on a wood block can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the block. This includes any external forces, such as weight and applied forces, as well as any internal forces, such as friction.

What factors affect the net force on a wood block?

The net force on a wood block can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the weight of the block, the angle and magnitude of any applied forces, and the coefficient of friction between the block and its surface. Additionally, the presence of other objects or external forces in the system can also impact the net force.

How do you determine the direction of the net force on a wood block?

The direction of the net force on a wood block can be determined by considering the direction of each individual force acting on the block. If all forces are acting in the same direction, the net force will also be in that direction. If forces are acting in opposite directions, the net force will be in the direction of the larger force.

Why is it important to calculate the net force on a wood block?

Calculating the net force on a wood block is important because it allows us to understand how the block will behave in a given situation. For example, if the net force is zero, the block will remain in equilibrium and not move. If the net force is non-zero, the block will accelerate in the direction of the net force according to Newton's Second Law of Motion.