Solving Work and Energy Problems on a Slope

In summary, a car with a mass of 890.0 kg traveling at a speed of 27.0 m/s can stop in a distance of 60.0 m while locking its wheels. The horizontal force applied by the car in this situation is 5402N. When the car is traveling up a 18.9 degree slope at the same speed, the stopping distance is 40.89 m and the horizontal force applied is 5402N. By solving for the acceleration using the equation Vf^2=V0^2+2ax and finding the coefficient of kinetic friction from the first part of the problem, the correct solution can be obtained.
NAkid
[SOLVED] work and energy problem

Homework Statement

The first part asks
A car (m = 890.0 kg) traveling on a level road at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mph) can stop, locking its wheels, in a distance of 60.0 m (196.9 ft). Find the size of the horizontal force which the car applies on the road while stopping on the road. First solve this problem using work/energy concepts and then check your answer using kinematics/force law concepts.

I solved this by finding the acceleration and plugging into formula F=ma=5402N

The second part asks
Find the stopping distance of that same car when it is traveling up a 18.9deg slope, and it locks its wheels while traveling at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mph). Assume that muk does not depend on the speed.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

I drew a free body diagram and came up with the following relationships
F-fk-mgsin(18.9)=ma where F=5402N
N-mgcos(18.9)=0

How do I solve for the horizontal distance? Is it just the vertical component of the Force?

Physics news on Phys.org
NAkid said:
I drew a free body diagram and came up with the following relationships
F-fk-mgsin(18.9)=ma where F=5402N
That F=5402N doesn't belong here--that was the friction force from the first part.
Redo this without that extra force.
N-mgcos(18.9)=0
Good.
How do I solve for the horizontal distance? Is it just the vertical component of the Force?
Solve for the acceleration. (Or the net force parallel to the road.)

OK, so i have F-ukmgcos(18.9)-mgsin(18.9)=ma. Can I solve for uk from the previous part of the problem and use it in this equation? If so, I still have one equation and 2 unknowns (F and a).

To solve for x i think I can use the equation Vf^2=V0^2+2ax, where Vf=0 and V0 is given.

NAkid said:
OK, so i have F-ukmgcos(18.9)-mgsin(18.9)=ma.
What does the F stand for? You already have friction and weight accounted for.
Can I solve for uk from the previous part of the problem and use it in this equation?
Absolutely.
If so, I still have one equation and 2 unknowns (F and a).
Lose the F!

F is the horizontal force (same as what the first part of problem asked for)

Well, I tried losing the F, which doesn't make much sense to me, and have -ukmgcos(18.9)-mgsin(18.9)=ma --> a=-14.57 m/s^2

use Vf^2=V0^2+2ax --> (27)^2=-2ax --> x=25.01m which STILL isn't right! :(

and i found uk with this equation from the first part

5402-ukmg=ma where a=-6.075
uk=1.23

NAkid said:
F is the horizontal force (same as what the first part of problem asked for)
In the first part, F is the net force on the car, which is just the friction. In the second part, you will use the [itex]\mu_k[/itex] from the first part, but not the F. You are already including friction as well as gravity.
Well, I tried losing the F, which doesn't make much sense to me, and have -ukmgcos(18.9)-mgsin(18.9)=ma --> a=-14.57 m/s^2
What did you use for [itex]\mu_k[/itex]?

NAkid said:
and i found uk with this equation from the first part

5402-ukmg=ma where a=-6.075
uk=1.23
Nope. Your value of force (5402N) is the friction!

ah ok so uk=.619

and equation becomes -(.619)(890)(9.8)cos(18.9) - (890)(9.8)sin(18.9) = ma , solve for a, plug in (27)^2=-2ax

and x=40.89, great thank you!

1. What is work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts in physics. Work is defined as the force applied to an object over a certain distance, while energy is the ability of an object to do work. They are both measured in joules (J).

2. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy have a direct relationship, as work is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object. When work is done on an object, its energy increases, and when work is done by an object, its energy decreases.

4. How is power related to work and energy?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is calculated by dividing work by time, or energy by time. The unit of power is watts (W), which is equal to one joule per second.

5. What are some real-life examples of work and energy problems?

Some common examples of work and energy problems include calculating the work done by a person lifting a box, the energy needed to run a marathon, and the power output of a car engine. Work and energy are also important concepts in understanding the functioning of machines and engines.