Solving Work, Energy & Friction for Block Movement & Spring Compression

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed and compression of a block on an incline with a spring and coefficient of kinetic friction. The solution involves calculating gravitational potential energy, work done against friction, and elastic potential energy. There are some errors in the calculation of work done by friction, including dimensionality, sign, and sine. It is suggested to solve for the compression directly without using kinetic energy.
joex444
Just need a simple logic check here. Let's say a block of 2kg is positioned on an incline of 53 degrees. 4m from the block is a spring with a k=70N/m. the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.36. How fast is the block moving when it hits the spring? How far is the spring compressed.

Ok, so find the height from the block to the spring (this is <4m), and say Ugrav = Wfriction + KE, to answer the first part. Then, that KE = Uspring + Wfriction to find the compression. Now, Wfriction would be Ff(x), where x is the compression of the spring. Yes? Or, would KE = Uspring be the correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
joex444 said:
Ok, so find the height from the block to the spring (this is <4m), and say Ugrav = Wfriction + KE, to answer the first part.
Sounds good.

Then, that KE = Uspring + Wfriction to find the compression. Now, Wfriction would be Ff(x), where x is the compression of the spring. Yes? Or, would KE = Uspring be the correct way?
When solving for the compression, include the work done against friction. But don't forget the change in gravitational PE.

you may want to try solving the second part of this problem by skipping the kinetic energy- going directly from its original position to the final position. So, if x were the distance that the spring were compressed:

[tex] U + W_f = EPE [/tex]
[tex] mg(h+x) + W_f = 0.5kx^2 [/tex]

Hmm...forgot about gravity after it hits the spring. Ok, so (H and X are the distance on the inclined plane, so I really want Hx and Xx in Ugrav)...
[tex]mg(h+x)\sin\theta + \mu mg\sin\theta = \frac{1}{2} kx^2[/tex]
and I know m, g, h, theta, mu, and k, so 1 variable left x. I ended up with a quadratic, once I put numbers into it: [tex]0=35x^2-15.65x-21.28[/tex] so x=1.03m. The question did say it was a "long" spring. I forgot gravity on the 2nd part on the final, so I ended up with an answer of 0.802m...

Wait; check the work by(or against) friction. The term does not appear dimensionally correct.

joex444 said:
Hmm...forgot about gravity after it hits the spring. Ok, so (H and X are the distance on the inclined plane, so I really want Hx and Xx in Ugrav)...
[tex]mg(h+x)\sin\theta + \mu mg\sin\theta = \frac{1}{2} kx^2[/tex]
Several problems with the 2nd term (the work done by friction):
(1) As mukundpa points out, it is dimensionally incorrect. (You forgot the distance.)
(2) The sign is incorrect.
(3) The sine is incorrect.

Related to Solving Work, Energy & Friction for Block Movement & Spring Compression

1. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. The equation for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What is the formula for calculating energy?

The formula for calculating energy is E = mgh, where E is energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point.

3. How do you account for friction in work and energy calculations?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can affect work and energy calculations. To account for friction, you can subtract the work done by friction from the total work done on an object. This will give you the net work done, which takes into account the energy lost to friction.

4. How does spring compression affect the calculation of work and energy?

Spring compression can be accounted for by using the formula W = 1/2kx^2, where W is work, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed. This formula takes into account the potential energy stored in the compressed spring.

5. Can you use the work-energy theorem to solve for unknown variables?

Yes, the work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This can be used to solve for unknown variables such as force, distance, or velocity in a given system.