Solving Zinc Carbon Cell Equation: 2MnO2 + 3H2

In summary, the conversation is about the Leclanche cell reaction and the equation for it. The hydrogen liberated at the cathode coats the electrode and manganse (IV) oxide is used as a depolariser. However, the overall equation does not contain hydrogen and there is confusion about the reaction between manganese oxide and hydrogen gas. Different sources provide different equations for the cathode, some including hydrogen and some not.
garytse86
The hydrogen liberated at the cathode would coat the electrode so polarises the cell. And manganse (IV) oxide is used as a depolariser. I got an equation in my notes:

2MnO2 + 3H2 --> 2MHO(OH) + 2H2O.

But evidently the oxygen doesn't balance.

I tried looking on the internet but still no equation. Can someone help?
(also the overall equation does not contain hydrogen at all, can someone explain that?)

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I found this:

Cathode: 2 NH4+ (aq) + 2 MnO2 (s) + 2e- --> Mn2O3 (s) + 2 NH3 (aq) + H2O (l)

But hydrogen is not in the equation. I want to know exactly the reaction between manganese oxide and hydrogen gas.

From my notes i got:

2NH4+ + 2e- --> 2NH3 + H2

However another source gives different equations:
Cathode: 2 MnO2(s) + 2 NH4+(aq) + 2 e- ---> Mn2O3(s) + NH3(aq) + H2O

2 MnO2(s) + 2 NH4+(aq) + Zn(s)  Mn2O3(s) + NH3(aq) + H2O + Zn2+(aq)

so there nothing about hydrogen gas?

Last edited:

Related to Solving Zinc Carbon Cell Equation: 2MnO2 + 3H2

What is the chemical equation for the reaction between 2MnO2 and 3H2?

The chemical equation for this reaction is: 2MnO2 + 3H2 → 2MnO(OH) + 2H2O

What is the purpose of solving the zinc carbon cell equation?

The purpose of solving this equation is to understand the chemical reactions that occur in a zinc carbon cell, which is a type of battery. This can help in improving the efficiency and lifespan of the battery.

How do you balance the equation for 2MnO2 + 3H2?

To balance this equation, you need to make sure that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides. In this case, you would need to add a coefficient of 2 in front of MnO2 to make the number of manganese atoms equal on both sides.

What are the products of the reaction between 2MnO2 and 3H2?

The products of this reaction are 2MnO(OH) and 2H2O.

What is the role of MnO2 and H2 in this reaction?

MnO2 acts as the oxidizing agent, while H2 acts as the reducing agent. This means that MnO2 gains electrons and H2 loses electrons during the reaction.