Some doubts about determining experiments

gionole
Imagine experiment is such as I drop a ball from some height vertically only.

What’s the right way to do 2nd experiment in order to check homogeneity of space.

Way 1: I move a little bit and drop the ball (same height, it’s just I moved - ball as well, but not in terms of height)

Way 2: We stay at the same place, but we drop the ball from higher height.I remember there was a constant speed moving train example and we were checking homogeneity such as we were in the train frame, drop, then we moved further in the train and drop it again from the same height. If so, then way 1 must be correct(since the experiments must be done with the same initial conditions - initial location, initial speed).

What I don’t get now is Lagrangian case for which we do for homogeneity check. For the ball, we know Lagrangian would be: ##L(y) = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 - mgy##

Then we say ##L(y+a) = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 - mg(y+a)##

How is this valid ? We definitely shift the ball upper, while we said that way 1 was correct above. Does this mean Way 2 is correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
We check
Way 2:homogeneity in space y
Way 1: homogeneity in space z or x.

Likes gionole
All good. No need for further replies. Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of conducting experiments in science?

The purpose of conducting experiments in science is to test a hypothesis or research question and gather empirical evidence to support or refute it. This helps to advance scientific knowledge and understanding of the natural world.

2. How do you determine the validity of an experiment?

The validity of an experiment is determined by its ability to accurately measure what it claims to measure. This can be assessed by evaluating the experimental design, control of variables, and the reliability of the data collected.

3. What is the difference between a controlled experiment and a natural experiment?

A controlled experiment involves manipulating one or more variables while keeping all other factors constant, in order to determine cause and effect relationships. A natural experiment, on the other hand, takes advantage of naturally occurring variations in a real-world setting to study a phenomenon.

4. How do you control for confounding variables in an experiment?

Confounding variables are factors that can influence the outcome of an experiment, making it difficult to determine the true effect of the independent variable. To control for these variables, researchers can use random assignment, matching, or statistical techniques such as analysis of covariance.

5. What are some common sources of bias in experiments?

Some common sources of bias in experiments include selection bias, where the sample is not representative of the population; experimenter bias, where the researcher's expectations or beliefs influence the results; and measurement bias, where the tools or methods used to collect data are flawed or inaccurate.