Some fun (yet nice) questions on QFT

• A
  • Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun Qft
In summary, the conversation discusses questions 9 and 10 about QFT exercises and the reasons for a factor of 2 being wrong in a published result and the lack of introduction of fields for particles like electrons in classical physics.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was looking through some problems on QFT, and I found these exercises:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/oh4.pdf
I was wondering about questions 9 and 10...
Q9 : speaking I guess aftermatch ,why was there a factor of 2 wrong in the published result? To be honest I don't quiet understand the question posed by Pauli, was he asking for something like: [itex]\gamma \rightarrow \phi \phi[/itex] or [itex] \gamma \gamma \rightarrow \phi \phi[/itex] or even [itex]\phi \phi ( \rightarrow \gamma \rightarrow ) \phi \phi[/itex]?
Q10: any hint for why classical physicists hadn't introduced fields for the particles like electrons? was that because QM and wavefunctions were not existent at that time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Q9: I think he meant ##\gamma \rightarrow \phi \phi##. The factor 2 might be due to a symmetry factor that has to be taken into account when outgoing particles are identical (a consequence of Pauli's own principle).

Q10: I would say that indeed fields have their interest when particles cannot be described in terms on trajectories only (i.e. when we go quantum mechanical) and/or when we need to describe the different possibilities for representing the Lorentz group.

ChrisVer said:
I was looking through some problems on QFT, and I found these exercises:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/oh4.pdf
I was wondering about questions 9 and 10...
Q9 : speaking I guess aftermatch ,why was there a factor of 2 wrong in the published result? To be honest I don't quiet understand the question posed by Pauli, was he asking for something like: [itex]\gamma \rightarrow \phi \phi[/itex] or [itex] \gamma \gamma \rightarrow \phi \phi[/itex] or even [itex]\phi \phi ( \rightarrow \gamma \rightarrow ) \phi \phi[/itex]?
Q10: any hint for why classical physicists hadn't introduced fields for the particles like electrons? was that because QM and wavefunctions were not existent at that time?
I agree with QB for Q9, it must be [itex] \gamma \rightarrow \phi \phi [/itex] (well, this is not possible for an on-shell photon so it must be off-shell) and the factor of two is almost certainly the symmetry factor due to the indistinguishability of the two final particles. As for Q10, the key point is that there can be no coherent states for fermions. The E and B fields we observed in experiments are coherent states of the photon fields and there is no such state for fermions fields.

Likes vanhees71

What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

Why is QFT important in science?

QFT is important because it is the best mathematical framework we have for understanding the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It has successfully predicted and explained many experimental results and is essential for many areas of physics, including particle physics and cosmology.

What are some real-world applications of QFT?

QFT has many practical applications, such as in the development of technology like transistors and lasers, and in the design of medical imaging devices like MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in the study of materials and their properties.

What are some fun facts about QFT?

One fun fact about QFT is that it is based on the idea that particles can also behave like waves, which is known as wave-particle duality. Another interesting fact is that QFT predicts the existence of anti-particles, which have the same mass but opposite charge as their corresponding particles.

How can I learn more about QFT?

There are many resources available for learning about QFT, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. It is also helpful to have a strong background in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops can provide valuable insights and opportunities for networking with other scientists in the field.