Some simple distance vs time problems?

• Thread starter -Dragoon-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation is about a produce manager at a grocery store who needs to calculate the time for lettuce to be shipped from different locations. The data table shows the various truck routes and the task is to calculate the time for each mode of transport and the total time for the final destination. The person is requesting for assistance with an example and also asks for help with a math problem.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

The produce manager at a grocery store in barrie has arranged to have lettuce shipped to his store from Holland Marsh, Ont., Thorold, Ont., and Solano, California. Examine the following data table for the various truck routes.

I made the table on microsoft word and then uploaded it, so here's the screen:
http://img840.imageshack.us/i/transportphysicsproblem.png/

Now what I have to do is calculate the time per mode of transport of the lettuce from each starting point. Then I would use the data to complete the last "total time to reach final destination" in the table. I don't know where to begin, any help? If maybe you can do one or two as examples, I would greatly appreciate it. I am doing this through correspondence and this question is worth a lot of marks, and there aren't any teachers to offer assistance so I'm kind of stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help?

How long does it take a truck to drive 31 kilometers at 90 kilometers per hour?

Related to Some simple distance vs time problems?

1. What is the equation for calculating distance?

The equation for calculating distance is d = rt, where d represents distance, r represents rate, and t represents time.

2. How do you solve for time in a distance vs time problem?

To solve for time, you can rearrange the distance equation to t = d/r. Plug in the given values for distance and rate, and solve for time.

3. What units should be used for distance and time?

Distance is usually measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles. Time is usually measured in units such as seconds, minutes, or hours. When solving a distance vs time problem, make sure to use consistent units throughout.

4. How can I use a graph to solve a distance vs time problem?

To solve a distance vs time problem using a graph, plot the given points (distance on the y-axis, time on the x-axis) and draw a straight line connecting them. The slope of the line will represent the rate, and the y-intercept will represent the initial distance.

5. Can the distance vs time equation be used for calculating speed?

Yes, the distance vs time equation can also be used for calculating speed. To find speed, simply divide the distance by the time. The resulting value will represent the average speed over the given time period.