Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problem

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the temperature inside an enclosure with a solar panel mounted on it. The discussion includes the factors that affect heat transfer, such as radiation, convection, and insulation, and the equations used to calculate these factors. However, it is noted that the most accurate way to determine the temperature inside the enclosure is through actual measurement rather than calculation.
unix101os
Problem Description:
I have a solar panel of some surface area, material, and thickness mounted to an enclosure. The panel is isolated from the enclosure at some distance with a multitude of materials (air, insulation, plastic, metal) between the back surface of the panel and interior volume (which is air tight). Given the temperature of the backside of the panel and that the materials behind the panel will be shaded (ie only receive IR light radiating from the back of the panel) how can I calculate the temperature of the volume inside the enclosure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
upload_2017-9-23_11-8-31.png

s=source r=receiver T[oK=273.4+oC]
Transferred by radiation heat will be:
qrad=ks(Ts/100)^4-kr*(Tr/100)^4)
k=4.96 kcal/m^2*h*(100/oK)^4 for black material.
For aluminum surface -for instance- could be 0.26.
Heat transfer could be done by convection also.
qconv=a*A*qa where:
a=Nu*lk/D A=panel surface area[m^2] Nu=Nussfeld factor
lk=air thermal conductivity[at 40oC =0.027 W/m/oC
D=panel height]m]
Nu[Nussfeld factor] depends on two other factors :Grashof and Prandtl[0.74 for air].
qa=qA-(qo+Dq/2) where:
qA=panel surface temperature qo=ambient air temperature
Dq=air temperature rise
The air will receive at first the convection heat. If you don't know which part of this will be transferred to the enclosure take it all.
If the panel is insulated we have a temperature drop through the insulated material by conduction.
q=l/s*A*ql
s=insulation thickness [m] l=material thermal conductivity ql=dT/dx
This calculation is iterative [you have to recalculate the heat transfer many time].
If the enclosure does not contain any heat sources a convection heat transfer may be enough for calculation of cooling .

Likes jim hardy and unix101os
Babadag said:
View attachment 211552
s=source r=receiver T[oK=273.4+oC]
Transferred by radiation heat will be:
qrad=ks(Ts/100)^4-kr*(Tr/100)^4)
k=4.96 kcal/m^2*h*(100/oK)^4 for black material.
For aluminum surface -for instance- could be 0.26.
Heat transfer could be done by convection also.
qconv=a*A*qa where:
a=Nu*lk/D A=panel surface area[m^2] Nu=Nussfeld factor
lk=air thermal conductivity[at 40oC =0.027 W/m/oC
D=panel height]m]
Nu[Nussfeld factor] depends on two other factors :Grashof and Prandtl[0.74 for air].
qa=qA-(qo+Dq/2) where:
qA=panel surface temperature qo=ambient air temperature
Dq=air temperature rise
The air will receive at first the convection heat. If you don't know which part of this will be transferred to the enclosure take it all.
If the panel is insulated we have a temperature drop through the insulated material by conduction.
q=l/s*A*ql
s=insulation thickness [m] l=material thermal conductivity ql=dT/dx
This calculation is iterative [you have to recalculate the heat transfer many time].
If the enclosure does not contain any heat sources a convection heat transfer may be enough for calculation of cooling .
Thank you so much this is very helpful!

some questions though,

What is meant my air temp rise (Dq)?
Would I add qrad and qconv to get total heat transfer through air?
Do I use qrad+qconv to solve for Thot?

Last edited by a moderator:
upload_2017-9-25_20-40-35.png

I am sorry. Since I did not succeed to write the Greek letter q and theta was the same.
Actually, the text has to be as in image. The radiation and convection transferred
heat will reach together the enclosure. However, the air between will get only the convection.

unix101os said:
Problem Description:
I have a solar panel of some surface area, material, and thickness mounted to an enclosure. The panel is isolated from the enclosure at some distance with a multitude of materials (air, insulation, plastic, metal) between the back surface of the panel and interior volume (which is air tight). Given the temperature of the backside of the panel and that the materials behind the panel will be shaded (ie only receive IR light radiating from the back of the panel) how can I calculate the temperature of the volume inside the enclosure?

Realistically there is no way to obtain a definite answer to this problem by calculation . As in many similar problems it will be easier to just build the assembly and see how hot it gets . If it gets too hot then modify the assembly .

Last edited:
Likes unix101os
Likes unix101os

1. What is a "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problem"?

A "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problem" refers to a complex issue or question related to the transfer and regulation of heat within a system or material.

2. How do scientists approach solving a "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problem"?

Scientists typically use mathematical models, simulations, and experiments to analyze and understand the factors affecting the thermal behavior of a system. They also consider various boundary conditions and assumptions to simplify the problem.

3. What are some common examples of "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problems"?

Examples of "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problems" include heat transfer in electronic devices, temperature regulation in buildings, and thermal management in industrial processes.

4. What are the potential impacts of not solving a "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problem"?

If a "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problem" is not adequately addressed, it can lead to inefficiencies, failures, or safety hazards in the system. It can also result in increased energy consumption and costs.

5. How can understanding "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problems" benefit society?

Understanding "Somewhat Complicated Thermal Problems" can lead to the development of more efficient and sustainable technologies, better thermal management in various industries, and improved comfort and safety for individuals in their daily lives.