Sophisticated Experiment (Thermal Conductivity of Housing Materials)

In summary, a third year university student in the UK is looking for ideas to conduct experiments for their dissertation on decreasing the thermal conductivity of housing materials. Their dissertation supervisor advised them to seek more sophisticated experiments and they have booked appointments with architectural engineering firms for guidance. Other potential experiments include analyzing the energy consumption of recently built buildings and addressing potential issues such as sick building syndrome. They could also compare the theoretical performance of materials to their actual performance in real buildings.
Nandomech
Hi everyone, I am currently a third year University Student in the UK and I'm in the midst of doing my dissertation.

My dissertation topic (Effective methods of decreasing the thermal Conductivity of Housing Materials) requires that I produce several experiments to test and analyse a certain range of housing Materials. However, my dissertation supervisor stated that if these experiments can be done by a high-schooler then they are not sophisticated enough to achieve a decent mark.

So what I'm asking is if you guys have any ideas on what experiments I could employ to accurately test the level of conductivity/insulation for a variety of materials used for housing structures and building envelopes. Also, experiments which may test other factors with regards to housing structures (such as susceptibility to water damage, durability and resistance to other environmental phenomena and disasters).

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Who are the testing laboratories in the UK that certify insulation materials for their "R rating"? I would contact them and ask if you can visit them as a field trip and talk to their engineers about testing methods. It would be a highly educational field trip. Your dissertation supervisor may be able to assist setting it up.

Likes Nandomech, russ_watters and berkeman
anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Who are the testing laboratories in the UK that certify insulation materials for their "R rating"? I would contact them and ask if you can visit them as a field trip and talk to their engineers about testing methods. It would be a highly educational field trip. Your dissertation supervisor may be able to assist setting it up.
Thank you for the great advice, I've already booked two appointments with two architectural engineering firms. I hope the visits will be quite illuminating. I decided to post on here just to expand my options in terms of potential experiments I could pursue, I was hoping someone on these boards would have experience with this type of research.

You could investigate the actual performance of a real building, and compare to the theoretical performance based on the material properties. You would need to compare how the materials are tested in the testing laboratory vs how they are supposed to be used in a building vs how they are actually used.

Some things to look into:
1) Do the test conditions accurately model how the materials are really used?
2) Does the actual performance of the finished building match the calculated performance? Why or why not?

You may find useful information from the people that are real serious about energy efficiency of buildings. Start by searching passive house, passivehaus, and pretty good house. The experiment(s) would be analyzing the energy consumption of some recently built buildings for which you have good information on the insulation systems.

Likes Nandomech and berkeman
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Nandomech said:
My dissertation topic (Effective methods of decreasing the thermal Conductivity of Housing Materials) requires that I produce several experiments to test and analyse a certain range of housing Materials. However, my dissertation supervisor stated that if these experiments can be done by a high-schooler then they are not sophisticated enough to achieve a decent mark.
In addition to the great responses so far, I would suggest that you can get some of the extra credit implied by your advisor by looking into sick building syndrome and similar issues. You can seal up a building really tightly to hold in the heat, but if you aren't careful, you reduce airflow too much and cause health-related issues for the occupants. So an efficient building design involves great insulation and carefully designed HVAC systems that keep the heat in but still keep fresh air flowing...

Also paging another one of our experts in this field @russ_watters for more input and hints... :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Nandomech
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

In addition to the great responses so far, I would suggest that you can get some of the extra credit implied by your advisor by looking into sick building syndrom and similar issues. You can seal up a building really tightly to hold in the heat, but if you aren't careful, you reduce airflow too much and cause health-related issues for the occupants. So an efficient building design involves great insulation and carefully designed HVAC systems that keep the heat in but still keep fresh air flowing...

Also paging another one of our experts in this field @russ_watters for more input and hints... :smile:

Thank you so much for your elucidating input, I hadn't even considered the negative effects of excessive sealing.

Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
You could investigate the actual performance of a real building, and compare to the theoretical performance based on the material properties. You would need to compare how the materials are tested in the testing laboratory vs how they are supposed to be used in a building vs how they are actually used.

Some things to look into:
1) Do the test conditions accurately model how the materials are really used?
2) Does the actual performance of the finished building match the calculated performance? Why or why not?

You may find useful information from the people that are real serious about energy efficiency of buildings. Start by searching passive house, passivehaus, and pretty good house. The experiment(s) would be analyzing the energy consumption of some recently built buildings for which you have good information on the insulation systems.

This advice is golden, thank you so much. Your suggested research into these various energy standards has yielded incredibly useful information for me.

Likes berkeman, anorlunda and jrmichler
Nandomech said:
Hi everyone, I am currently a third year University Student in the UK and I'm in the midst of doing my dissertation.

So what I'm asking is if you guys have any ideas on what experiments I could employ to accurately test the level of conductivity/insulation for a variety of materials used for housing structures and building envelopes. Also, experiments which may test other factors with regards to housing structures (such as susceptibility to water damage, durability and resistance to other environmental phenomena and disasters).

I'm not sure how much sophistication is required, but unfortunately measuring thermal conductivity is a fairly simple experiment, I wouldn't even call it that, its not experimental, its well defined and done quite often.

Apply a known heatflux and measure resulting temperature difference.

However your thesis is on how to reduce thermal conductivity, not how to measure thermal conductivity, so I would have thought the measurement part is no different than using a ruler to measure a distance, ie not the critical part of the thesis, what's important is that the measurement system is capable and repeatable then the bulk of it would be the how and why on changes you can make to improve the performance of the materials.

1. What is the purpose of conducting a sophisticated experiment on thermal conductivity of housing materials?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the ability of different housing materials to conduct heat and how this affects the energy efficiency of a building. This information can be used to make informed decisions about which materials to use in construction for optimal insulation and energy savings.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured in this experiment?

Thermal conductivity is measured by using a device called a thermal conductivity meter, which measures the rate of heat transfer through a material. This is done by applying a temperature difference across the material and measuring the resulting heat flow.

3. What are some common housing materials that are tested in this experiment?

Some common housing materials that are tested in this experiment include wood, brick, concrete, insulation materials, and various types of metals. These materials are chosen because they are commonly used in building construction and have different thermal conductivity properties.

4. How does thermal conductivity affect the energy efficiency of a building?

The higher the thermal conductivity of a material, the more heat it allows to pass through it. This means that materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metals, can result in higher energy bills as they allow heat to escape from a building. On the other hand, materials with low thermal conductivity, such as insulation, can help to keep a building warm in the winter and cool in the summer, resulting in lower energy costs.

5. What are some other factors that can affect thermal conductivity besides the type of material?

Besides the type of material, other factors that can affect thermal conductivity include the thickness and density of the material, as well as any air pockets or gaps within the material. These factors can impact how easily heat can pass through the material and should be taken into consideration when evaluating the thermal conductivity of a material.